Thursday 9 April 2020

Time to start building! the cellars in the east wing.



The project of building ones own house is a time consuming endeavour. Stressful but exciting. Espescially when one can't help with the actualy building work and has a fulltime job. The project of building a dollshouse at the same time is also quite laborious. And, unfortunately, the dollshouse always comes last when choices have to be made between these three.

But an important step has been made! Those of you who have been following my little blog for a while, know that I started with drawing sketches of floorplans and facades to choose the type and look of the house. After the ideas of a Regency townhouse, a baroque 'Lustschloss' for a German Prince, and a castle in the Gothic revival style. In the end I decided to go for a Dutch country house built in de Dutch classicist style that was popular in the second half of the 17th century. The Dutch golden age for Architecture. But my search was not over yet…
First I drew a freestanding house (more than 3 meters in length!) that would take up an 
entire room to display it. Too big and too impractical… (sigh)


Then I drew this one room deep example. With an added tower as a little bonus. 
I quite loved the division of the façade, but the depth of one room bugged me. 
I missed the see through from one room into another which was so much 
fun in the first design.
I combined elements of the first two designs into what would/will become Huis ter Swinnendael. 
A house of double depth with a double height art gallery that can only be seen through other 
rooms and which will receive (most of) its light through a skylight topped with a dome.
Large and spacious but still standing against a wall and thus saving a lot of space.

Then, I made a 1:48 maquette of the house in cardboard. With the rooms lined with paper designs made with Windows Paint. The maquette helped to to give me a better impression of scale and decor. And point out a few flaws that the drawings did not reveal. So I adjusted those. For instance the first room floor height was lowered, and the central wing with the art gallery and the grand staircase was widened.

The model of the house. the focus lies on the rooms and their decor, and not the 
outside appearance. as you can plainly see. :-)
And the model broken down into the separate floors and rooms. The colour schemes are
not fixed but help to give the style and mood that I want to give each room.
Then I started to saw the nescesary walls out of  MDF to construct the first rooms....  That did not go well. I am not used to do carpentry. My measuring was not precise enough, my sawing was not straight enough. In short, a disaster. It all ended up in the bin. Apart from taking some time off of the construction side of things, the work on Huis ter Swinnendael continued.

And with time came a solution. I started to redraw the house in a designer program so that I could draw every component to the milimeter and then have it cut out by a local lasercut company. It took some time to get used to the design program, but finaly I had the right drawings.

Scaled to the millimeter!
And now, almost a year after I threw my hand sawn pieces in the bin, and nearly two week after I placed the order, this package arrived! Yess! And now the assembly of the first rooms can begin. These walls, floors and ceilings make up the roomboxes which later will slide into the house itself.

I won't build the house in one go. I start with the east wing, from cellar to gable. Then construction 
wil start on one of the other two parts. So in the end it will be 3 cabinets with rooms shoved 
together to form one large house!
It is time to come out of the box, my dears. I have long waited for this moment! :-)

First I will paint every surface with a white primer. That way I close every piece off from the air and prevent moisture from getting into the mdf. It should also reduce the risk of warping I'm told.

Room 1: One floor, one ceiling, and 6 walls? Check!

Now I can assemble the pieces.  Country houses like Swinnendael usually have thick walls and these are thin boards. This thickness is created by dividing the inner and outer wall panel with wooden spacers. This way these walls also leave space for the electrics, and for gib-doors, wall niches, secret passageways and all that. :-) Some wall panels will be fixed to the floors or ceilings and the "fourth wall" of each room will later be attached to the outer door of the cabinet. I want to be able to disassemble the rooms easily without having to rip up glued parts and damaging them. Hopefully this system of roomboxes will work in reality as it has done in theory. Only time will tell.

Well, that's it for now my friends. I hope that you have enjoyed this little post. The pics are not that spectacular, but for me this signifies an important step. The construction of Huis ter Swinnendael has begun in earnest! 

Huibrecht 

21 comments:

  1. Very exciting. Your drawings are absolutely stunning, I cannot wait to follow along with your build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I plan to keep you all updated frequently.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Huibrecht! :D
    You must be feeling OVER THE MOON after having waited so long for your plans to come to fruition! I am excited for you and think that you're a Genius in programming and composing your building plans in this fashion.
    I saw this technique of sliding individual roomboxes into a shell in a book, a long time ago and so I know it can be done successfully, just as you've outlined.
    It makes for a Very realistic and easy to maintain dwelling and I'll look forward to seeing how yours will take shape, now that you're able to begin in earnest! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! Fun fact is that most baby houses/cabinet houses in the Dutch museums, like the one of Petronella Oortman in the Rijksmuseum, are built up of individual floors, walls and ceilings shoved into the shelves of the cabinet itself. So in a way it is also traditional for a Dutch dolls house. :-)

      Delete
  3. Ha, geweldig goed nieuws, Huibrecht, gefeliciteerd dat het jou gelukt is!! Ik ben oprecht blij voor je, want het grote werk kan gaan beginnen!! Prachtige plannen en wat een slim ontwerp heb je gemaakt, ik hoop de ontwikkeling ervan allemaal hier op jouw blog te gaan zien. Ik doe jou dat plan tekenen op de computer absoluut niet na, hoor, chapeau ;o).
    Klaar voor de start? AF!!!
    Vrolijk Pasen......jij hebt in ieder geval iets om voor binnen te kunnen blijven en niet alléén de komende dagen.... ;)!
    Groetjes, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi Ilona, ja ik heb in de stille momenten rond de paasdagen geverfd en gelijmd dat het een lieve lust is. :-)

      Delete
  4. This if just fabulous!! Congratulation on finally getting to the stage where you can begin to piece this grand building together. So much work has gone into it already, and I can only imagine how you must be itching to see it come to life.
    The method of building, rather than maneuvering around one big house from the beginning makes perfect sense and I am really looking forward to following how the room boxes will all fit together.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna. I think so too. At least to me the idea of a big empty hulk which reminds you of all that needs to be done while you concentrate on one room dit not seem very appealing to me. And this way it will be much easier to transport the house if that becomes necessary.

      Delete
  5. Creo que es una gran preparación para el trabajo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wauw wat een project, super voorbereidingen, een heerlijk vooruitzicht om al wat komt te mogen bewonderen!
    Wees voorzichtig en blijf gezond!
    groetjes van Marijke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik hoop jou niet teleur te stellen, Marijke. Ik zal voorzichtig blijven doen, dank je wel. Blijf ook voorzichtig en gezond!

      Delete
  7. Huibrecht I love a good story and this one is going to be a spectacular one! When a person pours their heart and soul into an idea it becomes destiny, and this amazing house is truly yours to create! I am so happy that you decided to enlist the help with the structure so that you could achieve the vision you have for this incredible idea. Your drawings are so inspiring and I hope that you will frame them for viewing close to Huis ter Swinnendael when it is on display!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet, thank you. Ad framing the drawings? who knows. Perhaps when the building and completion of Huis ter Swinnendael goes much faster than I anticipate, I may build another one of those houses… :-)

      Delete
  8. WOW, building begins !! how exciting especially at the moment, turning confinement into contentement ! Cannot wait to see the progress. Happy easter bunny day ,,, huggsss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It is exciting and it is a happy coïncidence in this sad time of self confinement that it helps me to focus on these things. It helps to stress about a 2 millimeter deviation on a cut that I made, rather than on the 1,5 meter distance towards other people that we have to try to maintain when we are outside or in a shop. And yes, i am typing this with residues of paint and glue on my fingers. :-)

      Delete
  9. Eh... what do you exactly mean by saying "The pics are not that spectacular"??? Huh? They truly are!!! The drawings alone are spectacular... and the exitement you felt by opening the box with the long awaited lasercut pieces dropped right out of the monitor to me. It's very interesting that there are companies who do this sort of cutting, I never even thought of that. And I'm in awe with your small model - what a dedication to your vision... and so much focus and respect for the task. And as you say this effort paid off, so good that you've been able to get rid off some flaws this way.

    Now I can better imagine what a spectacular (! *grin*) project this is - and I'm really looking forward to see you building it. Btw - the double walls is a brilliant idea. Not only that it's more realistic to have thick walls but it's also the perfect storage for wiring. In German we call this win-win-situation "hitting 2 flies with just one fly swatter". ;O)

    Have fun, stay safe and Happy Easter!
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I meant the pics of the cut out materials. They do not reveal much yet. :-) I am very happy that you like the drawings. Another reason for making the model was that I could work out some of the ideas before I had room and equipment to start making the real thing. But mostly it helped on issues like the ideal hight for each floor and the colourschemes and such.

      I did not know that saying was common in Germany. Quite funny, because in the Netherlands we have exactly the same saying. Hitting two flies in one hit. :-)

      Delete
  10. Hoi Linda, ja ik ben ook echt heel blij dat ik deze stap eindelijk kan zetten. Best wel een uitdaging. En die geheime gangen? Tja, je weet nooit waar die allemaal naar toe zullen leiden... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Huibrecht! I don't know why I didn't see this post before... I am lost in space again. I am awed to see the careful and long term planning you have put into effect! The house coming out of the box is such an exciting thing to happen! I look forward to seeing the rooms take shape... the double thickness walls have me fascinated! I am putting up with "illusions" for my castle...single thickness walls only painted to make you think of stone... and not good quality plywood to begin with! I am dedicated to building my vision... by myself with my own saws. The irregularities will, I hope, add to the charm for anyone who ever gets to see the real thing! Keep up the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete