Friday 2 April 2021

Supplying the office: To put your stamp on things...

Hello my friends,

Can you upcycle an already perfect miniature? Perhaps not. Or at least the word upcycling is probably wrong in this context. So let us simply call it personalising.

Sun of Nalladris added a box with sealing wax and a stamp and all that is further required for sealing letters with wax to her webshop. I immediately fell in love with it.

Moreover the box comes with a tiny personalised lasercut monogram in silver stuck on the lid. The same monogram (but even smaller) is etched into the sealing stamp. I find that só cool so I wanted to have one of those boxes. I happen to know Sun from the miniatures fairs in Arnhem so I called her up asking to buy one of those boxes. 

We had a lovely chat about miniatures in general when I told here that I (the idea had just sprouted in my mind that same minute) that I would want to try to decorate the box with some tiny chinoiserie scenes. She loved the idea but told me that for that it would be much simpler if she would leave the box unfinished and just provided all the elements. That way I could decorate them and put the box together just the way I wanted.

So now I was left with actualy decorating the box myself. Me and my big mouth! :-D

When it arrived I was thrilled. Every piece is so tiny! As a little gift she added two more stamps saying that in the office or library of Huis ter Swinnendael there would always be a place for a couple more. If you read this, thank you again, Sun!

It was time to get to work. I painted the outside bright red and the inside light blue. It needed a few thin coats before the woodstain stopped shining through. I lightly sanded the outside to smoothen the surface.

I have collected various pictures of japanned furniture. I used them to find a few scenes to recreate on the box. I had to leave some room for the monogram.

First I painted some basic forms in black and let that dry. Then I added gold paint on top of that to add details. The black that remains vissible adds some shadows and depth to the tiny pictures. I added scenes on every side of the box. When those were finished and dry, I glued the silver monogram in place. 

I also painted the handles of the stamps and the mini crucible to melt the sealing wax in the same red or blue. I decorated the handles with a simple gold flourish. Then I varnished each peace inside and out with glossy varnish to give it a proper lacquered appearance.

When that was done I added the hinges on the box and lid, as well as the tiny tiny brass bead on the drawer for storing the sealing wax. It took me a few days to get to this stage, but I really like how it turned out. I hope that you do too!

This box could go into sir Zonneschut's library but it will get pride of place on the desk of the steward in his office. 

15 comments:

  1. This sealing wax set is absolutely gorgeous and you did a phenomenal job making it your own. I can hardly wait to see it in place - although I'd much rather see it in my hand! *smile* Yes, I am truly envious. I will have to look into this supplier myself. Thank you for this post. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wantong to see it in your hand is a great compliment indeed. unfortunately I do not want to part with it. :-)

      I have started to work on the room again where it will end up in. So it should not be too long before you can see it in situ.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. La caja es encantadora. Has hecho un precioso trabajo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huibrecht I am so happy that you opened your "big mouth" because you have taken a nice piece and made a masterpiece of it! It so special - I love the scene you painted, and find the impossibly tiny components delightful! Beautiful work (how on Earth did you put hinges in this tiny thing?), and another fine and incredible detail for Huis ter Swinnendael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the saying goes, put your monney where your mouth is. With my mouth that should bring a nice sum. :-)
      But silly jokes aside, the hinges are glued in place. The walls of the box are so thin that nails would ruin the little box.

      Delete
  4. Och gut Huibrecht toch, ik weet precies hoe dat gegaan is: jij met jouw "grote" mond , en dat moet je dan juist niet tegen Sun zeggen, die daagt je gelijk uit, hahaha ;O)!! Maar.......wàt een resultaat, joh, het ziet er prachtig uit zo met die piepkleine beschilderingen erop. Dat zal me toch ff een pietepeuterig karweitje zijn geweest. Echt 'n mooi stukje werk en een juweeltje op elk bureau.
    Vrolijke Paasdagen voor jullie!
    Groet, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja inderdaad, zij nam de uitdaging meteen aan. Of liever, ze hield me er meteen aan. Maar gelukkig maar, want ik ben echt blij met het resultaat. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. Ontzettend mooi, Huibrecht! Ik ben er gek op. Zulke kleine details kunnen een scene zo heel echt maken. Welke mooie dingen komen er eventueel bij? Als je niet wist dat het miniaturen waren, zou je denken dat ze levensgroot zijn! (Marijke in Canada)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi Marijke, dank je wel, Ik ben blij dat je het resultaat mooi vindt. Er komt nog een vloeiblad bij en "echte" ganzenveren en een oudhollandse tinnen inktpot met schotel. En zo nog een paar dingetjes :-)

      Delete
  6. Wow, you've talked yourself into something awesome for sure! I've enjoyed following the development of this - how kind of Sun to help you make this miniature dream come true. And so generous to add more stamps. I really love her work, she offers a variety of impressive miniatures and most of all wonderful kits. Btw this sealing kit by Nalladris was shown in the latest issue of our German dollhouse magazine "1 zu 12" and I admired it a lot. It's special things like these that make a scene extraordinary. But I love it even more when they get the personal touch of the owner - and you've made a wonderful job with painting them. You're really good in painting so small.

    Enjoy the rest of Easter and hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it turned out well in the end. :-)
      I think I should subscribe to the "1 zu 12" magazine. Because I hear a lot of good things about it.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  7. Hi Huibrecht! Your tiny box for the seal and wax is just gorgeous! Clearly one Can up-cycle a perfect miniature! The Chinoiserie you chose to use is beautiful and the tiny seals are unbelievably wonderful! Stay well, and keep making minis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment! I will try to stay well and I will surely keep on making mini's! :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  8. Hoi Linda, dank je wel voor het mooie compliment. Nu leg je de lat alleen wel heel hoog. Ik maak ook heel simpele miniaturen. :-)

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete