Sunday 27 June 2021

(Beginner!) Sewing bee: Windowseat cushions.

Hello  my friends, 

Sometimes you prepare a post and then forget to post it. Silly no? But it has happened to me. That is why you see an unpainted wall of the dressingroom of lady Zonneschut while these walls were painted green last month!

A lady should not sit on bare wood if it can be avoided. So cushions are in order! this is more or less my first attempt to sew pieces of cloth together so I was hesitant to do so. However, curtains, bedding and other soft furnishings are all to be made in the future so why not try it out now? 

I chose a yellow cotton from a waistcoat I have "grown" out of. (a.k.a. not nearly being as slim as I used to be.) I kept it because I thought the soft mustard yellow was a colour that looks realistic in a historical (miniature) interior. It will be enough for the windowseat and the chairs but probably not for the daybed unless I am very carefull not to spill too much by cutting it up. 

I cut out two rectangles of twelve by five centimeter. I stitched both together on three sides, leaving 5 millimeter to the edge. I then turned it inside out and stuffed it with cottonwool. I then sewed the fourth side shut. I braided some embroidery silk to decorate and hide the seam. I added tassles on the front corners. 

As you may see the cushion is a little warped. Ilona told me that the reason for this is that I have not cut the rectangles straight on the warp of the fabric. For me that is a lesson learned. A mistake that I will not repeat where possible.

I also want to make two round bolster cushions to match this large cushion. But that will have wait until after the move to our new house.

Well that is it for now. I hope that you have liked this small post and til the next time.

Huibrecht 

14 comments:

  1. Dear Huibrecht, Bravo for your first sewing project ever!!! This is a great accomplishment for a novice sewer! I am sure I learned some of those beginner lessons sewing my doll clothes when I was eight years old.... I just love to sew! I think your cushion looks very well made (even if the grain of the fabric is awry!) And the tassels always add a special touch. I hope your move goes smoothly and look forward to the next accomplishments! Stay well! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8 years old? That means that I am 34 years late with my first lesson. :-) I like my first foray into tje world of sewing. More will come.

      Delete
  2. Hoi Huibrecht! Wàt een mooi zitkussen voor Madame Zonneschut, en wat een zeer mooie kleur stof, zijde toch?? De afwerking met die kwastjes past er prima bij. En wat betreft het 'kromtrekken' van het kussen: we zeggen gewoon dat het de favoriete zitplaats is van Madame Zonneschut, ze kijkt gewoon heel graag uit het raam naar de tuin ;).
    Een paar ronde kussentjes zullen het geheel van haar favoriete plekje bij het raam afmaken.
    Ik hoop voor jullie dat de verhuizing naar jullie nieuwe huis goed zal verlopen en dat we gauw weer iets van jouw miniwerk hier zien. Huibrecht, succes met de verhuizing.
    Een heel fijne week toegewenst.
    Groetjes, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik heb ook een stuk zijde liggen, maar dit is gemaakt van een fijne katoen. Na de verhuizing komen r zender nog een paar kussens bij. Het moet een lekker knus hoekje worden.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. Bravo! Chapeau for taking the courage to make your first attempt to sew - and the result is something you can be proud of. Your sewing firstie!

    And I agree with Ilona (at least I hope so... I did not translate her comment but as Dutch is a bit related to my language I think I got the message somehow) - it must be Lady Zonneschuts most favourite place, sitting comfortably on this lovely cushion.

    I'm looking forward to see more fabric work of yours, let's see if you caught a bug... eh... a sewing bee. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit (Who btw also avoids to sew whenever possible. Perhaps you're surprised to hear this from a bearmaker but in fact the only things I really can sew are parts of BiWuBearies. *LOL*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment Birgit. More sewing projects are on the horizon!

      And I believe that sewing BiWuBearies takes a special skill which has little to do with ordinary sewing. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. ¡Pues has hecho un buen trabajo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me gusta como ha quedado !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful cushion and the fact that you are also a talented seamster/tailor is impressive! I would not know about warps either so would need second chances, too! As for clothing not fitting as it used to? I am very familiar with that. I am working on it, but there is much to undo, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, to call me talented after my first attempt is really too much praise, Jodi. But I do apreciate the motivational comment. :-) this will mot be my last attempt and I will try to improve on each project.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cushion is perfect. The slightly ruched effect only makes it look more realistic. My all time favourite cushion tutorial is this one by JessicaCloe. She uses a little bit of glue in the final seam, which made me hesitant, I don't believe that one should glue fabrics when they can be sewn, but it turned out to work very well and saved a lot of time. I've made a whole box full of scatter cushions because it was so much fun once I started that I could not stop!
    https://www.jessicacloe.com/blog/2019/4/diy-dollhouse-pillows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment, Megan. And thank you for the link to the tutorial. That comes in really handy! I intend to sew many more cushions and other soft furnishings. I do not throw away dress shirts without checking if they would be suitable for my miniature house. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete