Thursday 15 July 2021

Stringing venerable beads. A scalloped teatable and (even more) Gueridons.

Hello my friends, In light of the coming move I told my self to not buy any more miniatures until after we have unpacked and settled on the new adress. 

Be that as it may... Promises are easily made, but difficult to keep. So when I found a teatable with a scalloped shape, I fell in love with it. But there were several pieces of this item available, so there was no rush to buy one. So far so good. The next week I saw the number of items drop from 4 to 2.

Yikes! And after the weekend there was only one left. It is made/sold by Hungarianminiatures on Etsy. I do not know if they make miniatures in a small batch or if they keep replenishing sold out models. 

So just to be sure, I bought the last one. promise to self broken... But when it arrived, It really made me happy. It is very detailed and nicely made. Stylewise it will fit in Huis ter Swinnendael. If not a miniature copy of a period piece it will pass for a late 17th century model without a problem. Perhaps the legs are on the slim side for the period but that would be the only flaw. 

 In the same shop I also saw these lovely gueridons also named torchères. The difference between both names is mainly that a gueridon generally refers to a pedestal type of table, used to display items like art or porcelain. While torchères are only used to place candlesticks or candelabra's on. 

 If you have followed my blog for a bit you may know that I love gueridons. I have a pair made by John Hodgson and a pair that I 'cobbled' together myself. And now this pair of wooden gueridons. Both the table and the gueridons will get a place in Lady Zonneschuts dressingroom.

But I also found some time for stringing some beads. It is a little project that I started two years ago and packed away for the temporary move to our current place. And the irony is that I had forgotten all about it until I came across the little box and opened it before packing it for the upcoming move.......

It is intended to become a chandelier. I have seen so many lovely home made examples. Both by professional miniaturists as home made that I wanted to  try to make one myself. 

I have spotted some flaws in my original plan. The weight of the small beads is not enough to let them hang in a nice arc. And both of the horizontal rings are not connected so the frame is not fixed (yet). Lets see how it works out. But perhaps I will undo it and remake it around a shop bought chandelier. Stringing the beads in the right order has been quite relaxing in itself though. :-) 

Well, that is it for now I'am afraid. I hope you enjoyed reading this post just as I did writing it. Take care, stay healthy and enjoy the summer. 

Huibrecht 

17 comments:

  1. Oh Huibrecht, I have fallen in love with that table. It is exquisite and you were lucky you didn't wait any longer! The gueridons are also lovely but the table - WOW. Don't give up on your chandelier. I'm sure it would all come together in the end and look fabulous. Cheers! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Marilyn, the table outshines the gueridons. But I love them all. No, I won't give up on the chandelier. rest assured. But I do think I will need to change few things to make it work the way I want it to.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. Una gran compra, se lo ve perfecto:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Huibrecht! What a Gorgeous scalloped table that is! I am so glad you gave in to your intuition and bought it anyway! It is always hard to stay "true" to a single period of design... I know what you mean as I struggle to keep my Castle "medieval" and always fail in the end! LOL! (Which is why there is time travel in my mini worlds! :) The candle stands (what we call them here) are lovely too... but really that table outshines them all! What a great find!!
    As for the chandelier... I have only made a few small lamps... I think it is always harder than it looks to get a really good end product. Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, betsy. It is scalloped and not serpentine. Serpentine is the name when the curves are fluent which these are not. I have changed the description at once. thank you. :-)

      Candlestands are indeed the English name for them. I like to stick as much to the dutch names of the era where possible. funnily that means with a lot of fashionable items to use the original french names. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. Oh Huibrecht I am so glad you did not wait and snapped up the last one! Some of the biggest regrets I have in life are not buying certain miniatures because it was not prudent to do so. Often, you don't get another chance for a very long time. I am glad you got the gueridons, too! You can never have too many of those, especially with the number of lovely things you have to display! They are all gorgeous and her miniature work is amazing! I have one of her pieces to give to Tasha for her birthday.

    The chandelier is going to be amazing! I wonder if you shaped the string with watered down glue solution and let it dry that way before stringing would it keep the shape you assign making no need for the weight of the beads? In any case, I am so glad you found something to work on to keep the moving nerves at bay! I hope all goes smoothly and that you are in and unpacked in record time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi. I was afraid that I was going to regret the table if I let the opportunity pass. How nice that you also bought one of her pieces. het shop has a nice variety. I am sure Tasha will love the present you bought her.
      I do not always understand the pricing though in her shop. She also offered a lowboy for much more than the table although it was smaller. But then again, i do not know how much work goes into each piece.

      The unpacking might take a little longer than originally planned, though. I decided to make a good registration of every miniature I have collected so far. Complete with pictures, maker names and prices. You never know when it comes in handy.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. Bravo!!! Me and the furry gang are applauding loudly to you - it was the best decision to skip your good resolutions and give in to the temptation. It would have been such a pity if you would not have been able to buy this absolutely stunning trio. The table is so beautiful and the candle holders the perfect match, no question that these three need to stay together. And seeing that you already have them in your hands proves to me that your decision and courage paid off as these masterpieces arrived fast at your place not causing any postal worries.

    And wow, your chandelier beginnings look stunning. I bet you will find ways to stiffen it a bit... however it looks fabulous so far and you will always have the satisfactional feeling of "I made it". And may I remind you that even masterpiece chandelier makers like for example the Getzans weren't born as perfect chandelier makers? In Germany we say "practice makes the master"... and I'm pretty sure you will come along with a masterpiece in the end.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these kind words, Birgit. I indeed intend to let them stay together. I may gilt some small parts of the torcheres though. I saw that on an antique pair of wooden torcheres and loved the look. But first I must practice on some other items before I try my hand on these torcheres. I would not want to ruin them.

    Indeed, I will need a lot of practice yet. And I look forward to it. so much still to learn about making mini's!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  7. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information? ikea antilop accessories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind reply. I believe it is updated as it is. After my summervacation I will continue blogging.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  8. thanks for this usefull article, waiting for this article like this again. estate agents burnley

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Aplikasi Visa AS

    ReplyDelete