Thursday 17 February 2022

My birthday; The 'elephant' in the room...

Hello my friends, 

It is high time for us to adress this issue... For many of you februari is just a winter month. For me it is the time of year that another year is added to my age... I am not thát vain, but vain enough that I rather talk about the party itself than the reason for the celebration. So there we have it, the elephant in the room...
 
The love of my life is not just the love of my life but he also has an uncanny sense of humor. So when I said (only) two times in the last few weeks that my upcoming birthday was not something I looked forward to, we laughed it away as being the elephant in the room. Little did I know...

And what present did I get from him for reaching 43? An elephant! And what kind of an animal! Keith Bougourd of Small time miniatures has recently made a few Louis XV gilt bronze Pendule ‘á l’éléphant’ as the French call them. 

He based his miniature on this one, made by the esteemed clockmaker Jean Moisy in Paris. That original clock you see in the picture above  was made in 1755 so bang on the right period for Huis ter Swinnendael.

This Pendule á l'éléphant is the second clock from Keith that my love has given me for a birthday. 
I must confess that this is becoming a tradition I quite like getting older for!  :-) 

Elephants will not become a theme for Huys ter Swinnendael, but I bought a miniature elephant tea pot a few years ago that can find a place in the same room as the clock. You may have spotted said tea pot in the picture below. It is a bit roughly shaped, especialy the lid, but I like it none the less.

But there is more. My parents have given me this spectacular tea caddy for my birthday. It is made by Malcolm Hall as some of you probably already have recognised from the picture.  Well, they did not really give me this tea caddy. My parents give me and my siblings a fixed amount for our birthdays to spend as we wish on a present. I used this years present for this tea caddy and paid the remainder of the price myself.  Tea caddy's are very apropriate miniatures for a house like Huys ter Swinnendael. But I do not want a dozen of them. This model however is one I definately could not resist. And it will probably not be the last either.

It has three 'tins' made out of brass with lids that actualy come off. (mind you, the width of the short side is only 4mm!) The caddy itself is made of mahogany. You almost forget how tiny this is if you do not place the teacaddy next to something normal sized. The two cannisters with the star engraved on the round lids are meant for the tea to be stored (Chinese & Indian, this was way before the many different flavours of tea we can now choose from) The cannister in the middle with the 'large' rectangular lid, is the mixing bowl where the two types of tea could be mixed into the favorite blend before adding it to the pot.

Last year I gave Jonquil 2 curfews or fireguards because she guessed correctly what I was making at that moment. And last week I received a little parcel from her. Since I received it so close to my birthday I feel that it should get a place here. 

When I opened it I found this beautiful piece of embroidery made by her. Only when holding the little frame in your own hand and see the embroidery with your own eyes can you really appreciate how small the stitches really are! although I am sure that those of you who embroider yourself will know that just by looking at the picture. :-) 

I apreciate this very much! The year 1722 is spot on and it will get a nice place in Huys ter Swinnendael


 A bit earlier, just around Christmas I received another package from a blogfriend, Birgit sent me a parcel with these lovely goodies. Not least a Flutterbeary mug which is now my personal craft room tea mug, and a Biwubeary calender with pictures of flowers and blooms that are an inspiration for our own future garden. 

At the moment said garden is a patchwork of gravel, grass, asphalt and mud. Besides that we have one old willow tree, hanging over to one side and one old hedge. In the grassy patches there grows (uneddible but pretty) mock strawberries  near the waters edge and snow drops in the far corner. and that is it. almost a blank canvas. It  will take a lot of work to turn it into a real garden, but Birgit's calender will be an inspiration for it. :-) 

Apart from that there were also jummy little chocolates, some with marzipan (which is my favorite combination!) and some more goodies that are not included in the photo. (Because those were already eaten and enjoyed! 

Dear Jonquil and Birgit, thank you very much for these lovely gifts. I love them and I will cherish them!

And last but not least I treated myself to a walking stick in miniature. The stick is made out of a piece of walnut. The handle is made out of brass. I think it is a pretty and elegant miniature made by Mantero Miniatures. 

But the real beauty lies hidden in the handle. You can lift it off from the cane and then it reveals a little telescope. The telescope (with glass lenses) van be retracted and it pivots in the middle. Although this is not an 18th century design, telescopes were very popular for a gentleman to have in his library. Even if it was just for show. 

Since sir Carel Polyander is an avid amateur scientist with a broad interest (a.k.a. a lack of focus ) :-) I can see him walking through his park around Swinnendael using his walking stick telescope to spot a rare bird amidst the foliage...

This last miniature is not a present in honour of my birthday. It is because I too have cast my eyes to the hills in a way. 

Not with a stylish telescope unfortunately. No, I had the opportunity to aply for a new job and am lucky to have 'won' it. In April I will start in my new job. It is an interesting step in my career, and that waranted a little something to commemorate it. :-)

Well, that is it for now. I hope you have enjoyed this little post. you may have spotted some further development on Lady Zonneschuts Dressingroom, and work in progress  on revamping the table I bought in Rijswijk last october... But that is for a new post in the near future. 

Take care,

Huibrecht




12 comments:

  1. Dear Huibrecht, Happy Birthday!!! And Many Happy Returns as they say! You have gotten lucky with your "Elephant" comment... I have known some who would have given you a larger one...!) All joking aside, the clock is Perfection!!! And the elephant Teapot is just like one I have in my collection! (I am currently stitching an elephant themed tea cozy to go with it...) Besides that... the Tea Caddy you have bought with your Birthday money is just divine! (I am still wishing for one.... someday!) But that telescope handled walking stick is beyond belief! Wow!!!! What a novel and fantastic accessory for the discerning gentleman to own!!
    I am also a February birthday celebrator.... coming in a week or so...! But it is always a great excuse to lavish treasures on oneself... when you reach my age.... :)
    Congratulations on your new job! I hope it goes well! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Betsy, thank you very much for your kind wishes! and at this point happy birthday to you too!

      yeas I am pleased with all these lovely miniatures. It wil take a little while before I can soil myself again, but in the meantime I have enough to make myself :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. Muchas felicidades, veo que estás muy feliz cumpliendo años; unido a las preciosas miniaturas que te han regalado, todas ellas fantásticas dignas de un museo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias por sus buenos deseos, Rosa-Maria! De hecho, estoy muy feliz con mis regalos. Un museo, quién sabe. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. ¡Felicidades!
    Todos los regalos son preciosos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias por sus buenos deseos, Isabel! De hecho, estoy muy feliz con mis regalos.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. Hartelijk Gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag, Huibrecht. Je hebt hele mooie cadeaux (kados?)gekregen; Europa is meer op miniaturen ingesteld dan Noord Amerika! Heerlijk om je eigen tuin te ontwerpen; de onze is nu bijna 30 jaar oud, en ieder jaar kijken wij door de bloemen, groenten and fruit katalogus om nieuwe dingen to proberen. Nog heel veel jaren in goede gezondheid aangewenst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hartelijk dank voor de felicitatie, Marijke. Ik ben heel blij met mijn cadeautjes. In Nederland mag je dit trouwens op twee manieren schrijven. Kado
      of cadeau. Beiden vormen zijn gangbaar maar ik hou het zelf altijd bij cadeaus. :-)

      Wij kijken ook echt uit om de tuin aan te gaan pakken. Hij is groter dan ons vorige tuintje en zal dus veel meer werk vergen, maar dat zal ons niet tegen houden!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. Well that worked out well! I didn't know it eas your birthday....Happy birthday! I have long admired that clock from Keith it will be a great addition to your house. I'm glad 1722 was a good date for your house and you can find a small corner for it...have you found your initials hidden in the flower stems yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lucky coïncidence then. :-) And no, I have been so blind not to spot the HD! But I have now, it makes this embroidery extra special to me, thank you very much!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  6. Happy belated birthday wishes - all the best for all the years to come! And it must be great to know that your next birthday will bring you once more the most stunning birthday gift from your loved one, please pass my greetings to him as I really like people who know exactly how to make the most important person(s) in their lives happy. ;O)

    This elephant clock is drop-dead-beautiful! I am always in awe with miniature artists who are able to create such wonders in that "size". And this is also true for the tea caddy, a must-have for sure... but so well made, I can only agree, nobody just looking at a picture of it would ever suppose it's a miniature. But what blew me away the most is this walking stick! With such a special gimmick it would already be stunning in real life size... but making something like this in 1:12 is incredible.

    I've also admired Jonquil's beautiful stitching very much and it made me smile that my modest garden might inspire yours. Btw the saying about the elephant in the room is not so common in German, we are more familiar with an elephant in a porcelain shop. *grin* But it's good that your stunning elephant clock will have company from this lovely teapot. Oh, and not to forget - congrats on your new job!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Birgit for your kind wishes! I am glad that you like these miniatures. I have indeed been spoilt. And yes, your garden is an inspiration indeed!

      Huibrecht

      Delete