Monday 6 June 2022

A little bit of this and that. and a mini castle.


Hello my friends,

Last sunday I went to the dollshouse fair in Rijswijk. I bought some tools and craft materials, and some miniatures. 

The first is this rug. You may recognise it. It is a machine made piece and much too shiny. But it was so cheap that I still wanted to buy it. An ideal candidate for practicing distressing and/or ageing on. What method would you use? Soaking it in tea or diluted paint, or something else entirely?  Please let me know what you would use. Thank you!

If it does not work. I will have spoiled a cheap 13 in a dozen rug. If it works I end up with a rug for which I undoubtedly can find a room to lay it on the floor.


One of the last items I bought was this second hand desk with a leather inlay. The wood is stripped from its original finish which is a plus for me. Unfortunately one of the drawerpulls is torn off and another is out of shape. I have enough furniture hardware to replace them. That should be easy to remedy. It was however reason to barter about the price. We agreed on a lower price than was on the pricetag. I was pleased with the outcome.

This time I will not paint it and/or add painted decorations onto it. I want to stain this desk and wax it to look like mahogany. 


Together with some double weave embroidery.... I bought a piece of printed cotton. It has a dark blue (it almost looks like b) flowery print on a beige background. I want to use both for miniature upholstery. The evenweave can be used to simulate caning. Perhaps even combined in a single piece. For instance a chair with a caned back but with an upholstered seat. What do you think, dear friends?

And books. You may know that I love books and like to collect them (new or old) on the subject of Miniatures and dollshouses.


The two volumes of 'Collectively Speaking' by Kaye Savage Browning cost new (in the Netherlands) around 24 Euro's each. To my surprise and delight the seller wanted only 2 Euro per book. They may be second hand but the first owner seems to have never or hardly looked into them. Both books look totaly unused as if they are practically brand new. I am very happy to add these two to my small collection. 

And I can assure you that I have started reading the first book already. No book in this house will stay unread! At least not for long. 😄


And, as the title already mentions, there is also a castle... WM Houtkunst has a lot of items in smaller scales like toys, dollshouse furniture, (black forest) christmas decorations and more. Their designs are lasered into veneer. This castle set is a toy set. 

Now In Huis ter Swinnendael there is no nursery planned. Because in my story for the Zonneschuts, all the children of Carel Polyander and Belle are grown up and live on their own. Their eldest son lives in Paris on the fringes of the entourage around Louis Napoleon and is not yet maried. Their daughter lives in Rijswijk with her husband and their younger son is a protestant minister living in their smaller second estate near Delft.

But there still can be a few toys and childrens furniture scattered around the house and attics. Waiting for future grand children...

Because it is so small (1:450) I did not use paint but felt tip pens to colour the pieces. The walls have small indented stripes that give them a bit of relief. With using only very little pressure on the red felt tip pen the ink did not stain those horizontal indentations, leaving them bare. I like the effect it creates.

The castle walls are red and not gray because it is a Dutch castle. And most of my country has no bedrock where stone can be quaried. So, like almost every buildings around here it is made out of red brick. Sourced from the iron rich clay one can find en se eral places. 

Then it was time to assemble the pieces. They can be pressed out very easily and hardly need any sanding to remove visible joints. Because the fold lines are perforated bending them is quite easy. Although you have to act careful. The veneer is very thin after all. Because the floors and roofs all have a type of mortise and tenon (?) construction, every tower and wall section slots together easily has only one glued joint. 

More fiddly is getting the string through the holes in the wall and the drawbridge. I should have done the end that goes into the castle wall before glueing it shut. But for now it will be a fixed bridge instead of a drawbridge.

To customise it a little bit I plan on making a few roofs and spires out of printing paper for two of the towers. Topped with little flags. To finish it off I will varnish each piece with varnish coloured with a bit of raw umber to make the colours look less vibrant and new.

There it is an old brick castle with three valliant knights on horseback! Waiting patiently for the day that the sound of little feet can be heard running around the house again...

Huibrecht 
 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Huibrecht! It's great to hear that you got to attend another mini show! And you came home with some great finds! The mini books are a treasure - the prices for them on Amazon can sometimes be shocking! I hope you'll find (and share) some useful tips and techniques! The desk is a lovely one, and bargaining for a better price makes it even lovelier. Your stain idea sounds like a fun endeavor and I am looking forward to seeing what this desk can become in your able hands. I have had occasion to put together a few 1/144th scale laser kits so I know it is not an easy adventure! You were so smart to use a marker, and I love the effect, too! It's going to make a wonderful accessory for Huis ter Swinnendael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prices on Amazon can indeed border on the bizarre. I will let you know when the carpets gets distressed to satisfaction, and what I have done to achieve that effect. Or, when it fials, what you should not do. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. Als je het stramien diagonaal gebruikt, kan het mischien meer "echt" lijken! Voor het tapijt, als je een gebroken effect wil hebben, doe een proefje met een gebruikt tee zakje, d.w.z, dep het tapijt met het tee zakje. Als het kunstmatige stof is, dan neemt de tee niet altijd. En ik wou zo graag weer naar een show gaan, maar zover weet ik alleen maar van een show volgend jaar, waar ik meestal als verkoopster ga. Er zijn er heel wijnig hier....Je hebt wel goed geluk gehad op de Rijswijk show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi Marijke, Dank je wel voor de tip met het stramien. Ik ga diagonaal zeker overwegen! Dank je wel ook voor de tip met het theezakje. Het lijken mij inderdaad synthetische garen die gebruikt zijn dus het kan zijn dat ze heel slecht kleur opnemen. We gaan het zien!

      Delete
  3. ¡Estupendas compras! Me gustarĂĄ ver como restauras el escritorio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel. Te mostraré el escritorio una vez restaurado. Prometido.

      Delete
  4. Lucky you being able to attend a miniature fair... and chapeau, you're really good when it comes to treasure hunting. And also good at negotiating, clever that you managed to get this stunning desk for a lower price. And it was also clever to get this nice priced carpet, it looks great and will do a good job lying under furniture after being distressed. Sorry, but I'm not the right person to give advice with jobs like distressing. And in my opinion the best find were the books for this price... a visit with fantastic souvenirs.

    I also like the castle very much (the exterior loo... no detail missing *grin*) and even more the story behind it for your project. It's great that there's always a vision and a background story. But I must tell you that at first I was a bit perplexed when you told about the seller and showed the picture of the kit and the instructions. Having built many kits made by him I know the work of Volker Arnold when I see it... and this kit is without doubt made by him. As it always makes me angry when people claim the work of others to be theirs I visited the website of MW Houtkunst and was surprised: They sell in fact only kits by Volker Arnold - but they give credit to him so that's okay and I calmed down. ;O) But I keep my fingers crossed that you did not pay too much as their prices... ehem... the best way to buy kits by Volker Arnold is checking his ebay offers: https://www.ebay.de/usr/volkerarnold?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559

    Have fun with your new treasures and good luck with aging the carpet.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to be able to attend some shows. But the next one will be in october. So that is a bit of a wait.

      I am glad that you like the castle. An I am glad that a visit to their site has set your mind at rest. I did not realise that Volker Arnold had made this kit. I read past that information, or I would have mentioned it.

      Delete
  5. Hi Huibrecht! I think you found some real treasures at the Fair! The carpet and the desk and the chair are all wonderful "project" pieces! But the Castle kit has definitely grabbed my attention! LoL! You can imagine I have been resisting making a "Teeny Tiny" Castle in my worlds.... but it might be inevitable and I just should not resist! LOL! You have assembled it perfectly... and now I really look forward to seeing where it will be "on display" in your house! But no rush.... I know these things take time! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not surprised that the castle peeked your interest. :-) And you are right, these thinks take time. alas, more time that we would like it to take. But it will find its place. In due time.

      Huibrecht

      Delete