Sunday 30 October 2022

It is all silver that glitters! A Jens Torp workshop

Hello my friends,

The weekend after the Dollshouse Nederland Show in Arnhem I attended a silver workshop given by Jens Torp. During the three day long workshop we made silver covers for the front and back plates of a book made by Tine Krijnen. Below isva picture of the one Jens made as an example. Excuisite!

It was my first ever workshop on working with silver. I found it daunting but also very exciting to work with silver. 

It started simple enough. Two small plates of silver and a brass template. Our first job was to bend and fold 3 edges over the template. Thus creating a cover to slide on the book when finished. I messed up the first one. so I got a third plate to try again. Luckily number 2 and 3 turned out ok. So, after the necessary cutting, filing and bending I had two folded plates to work with.

Next came the soldering with silver. The corners had to be soldered shut and a short stub of silver thread had to be soldered on the long side. These would become part of the clasp later. I gave soldering a try but I could not make it work. Fortunately Jens was kind enough to help me so it turned out alright in the end. Well the soldering at least. The book covers were as yet nowhere near finished, but the first day of the workshop already drew to a close.


The second day started with designing the pattern for both covers. In its folded form the long side of both covers measure just 1 inch. (2,5 cm) This will give you an idea of how big, or rather small, the cover is. When I settled on a design for each cover it was time to draw them on the silver. I wanted a baroque design with curving vines and flowers. On the front a medallion is added which holds the coat of arms of the Zonneschut family. 

It took me a long time to decide which designs to use. But then I could finally start opening up the little silver plates. You start by drilling holes where the silver needs to be removed. Insert the thread of the jewelers fretsaw and cut out the unwanted piece. And then you go on to the next, and the next, and the next... and so on and so forth. 

When working on such a small surface with nothing but curvy lines it takes a very long time before you have finished one side. And even longer for both sides. Because the silver is thin and not as hard as brass, cutting around end pieces means that you have to saw carefully and slowly. You do not want to bend the material or damage it in any other way. So you cannot rush this stage.


When the sawing on both of my pieces was (finally) finished, the third day had already started! Now it was time for me to engrave the lines of pettals and such. This gives the design detail and depth. Great to do but hard to master. Making curved lines has been very hard to do. Stil I have a lot to practice before I have mastered this.


But if you think that was tough to do... We then had to cut away the middle section of the silver bars on the covers. Jens provided us with a ready made clasp that should go between these. But to turn this into a hinge, meant drilling through the little round bars so a thread could be pulled through. This meant drilling with a drill measuring 0.6 mm in diameter.... 

Luckily, Jens helped the faint of hearts... I was one of those. I am bad at drilling straight. and the margin of error is extremely small here. Next time I must try it myself, just like I will try my hand at soldering again. I must be able to master it in the near future. 


And here you can see the holes cut by Jens, turning the small silver bars into hinges. Silver thread was threaded through them and tapped with a jewelers hammer to flatten and broaden the ends so they can not fall out of the hinge.


The last task that remained now was to add a pearl trim around the decorations and polish the silver. Smoothing away the rough edges and make the silver shine again. However, I had run out of time!

Luckily, Jens wanted to help me out by adding the pearl trim. This was the third time he helped me out! I would find a way to polish the silver myself. There must be a jeweler in my area that would help me out. A friend of mine, who also attended the class, stayed the evening there and would take my bookplates home with him. We would then meet up later in the month to hand them over. 

We did so while visiting Slot Zuylen, a castle near the city of Utrecht. I will show you its lovely interiors in a next post.  And finally the book and the silver covers are united. 


I love the result! I am very happy with them although there are a few mistakes made that remain visible. It is my first miniature silver piece. Handmade by me and aided by Jens Torp. I can assure you that it will not be my last! Hopefully next year there will be another miniature silver workshop. 


There is even video footage of the workshop itself on YouTube! Josje (Make Miniatures With Josje) attended the workshop as well and made a nifty bookcover herself. You can see her vlog about the workshop here. I even have a little guest role in it! 🤭
I talked with her about a mistake I had made while engraving, unoblibious that she was shooting footage for this episode at that moment. So, if you want to hear my voice, here is your chance. 😅

Well, that is all for now. Stay safe and until my next post. 

Huibrecht 




14 comments:

  1. I've always wondered how this type of tiny fretwork was achieved, and thanks to you, now I know! I think I use the word "fascinating" a lot in my comments on your posts, Huibrecht, but they always are! I always learn something new, and I always get excited when I see a new post from you!
    It is such a treat that you were able to take a class from such an amazing artisan, and a very helpful one, at that! I love the design you created for your book cover, and I am so impressed that you picked up so much of the skill so quickly! Impossibly tiny, but I suppose with everything, practice breeds improvement. At this point I have butterflies just thinking about trying all those tiny holes and then cutting with the jewelers saw on a precious metal! Brave man! And thanks for the link to Jose's video - it was delightful to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, you are more than welcome. ;-) I never tire of anything fascinating. The sawing was nerve wracking at some points. Two times I left the table to have a small walk in the garden just to calm down again. But I would not want to miss it. Hopefully I can attend next years class.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. This post was as interesting as it was impressive - thanks for sharing, also the link to Josje's video. I've always been in awe with work like this and it's even more stunning when done in our small scale. In German we call this "Kunsthandwerk" and I think this hits it as it contains the skills of the crafter but also the art.

    I've really enjoyed to learn how these miniature miracles in silver are created and I can honestly say that your book cover turned out awesome! It doesn't look like a first try at all - you can be very proud of yourself. What a special piece for Huis ter Swinnendael... a silver cover you've made yourself. And what a brilliant idea to use the family's coat of arms.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Birgit! These are lovely comments and reading them makes me happy. This book cover is my first try and luckily there is room for improvement. But I am proud of the result. I was afraid I would not get to finish it in time. But with a little help I succeeded.

      talking about the coat of arms... When I had put it on the book I noticed that I made it upside down! lol! isn't that something! Oh well, let us say that now it is the coat of arms of a different or older branch of the Zonneschut family. ;-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. Me parece un gran trabajo, el diseño elegido es fantástico, enhorabuena !!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias Pilar! Este libro de plata me resultó muy difícil de hacer. Pero estoy muy contenta con el resultado y estoy encantada de que vosotros también lo estéis.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. ¡Está genial! ¡Que maravilla de trabajo y que paciencia y pericia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas Gracias Isabel! Atesoraré este libro de plata para siempre.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. What a MEMORABLE Experience taking Jens class must have been for you Huibrecht, but Oh My! what a MAGNIFICENT TREASURE you have returned home with!
    All that miniscule fretwork within your baroque design must have taken hours of intense focus and concentration: such precision work is NOT a task for the heavy handed nor for the impatient, so hats off to you and to Josje, for your continuing pursuit of EXCELLENCE- which after looking at your book cover results,- you've Found !
    BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable is indeed the right word Elisabeth. And I love thinking back to it. I even have plans to buy a small and thin silver sheet to practice cutting and bending silver. perhaps the mounted silver fittings on a chest?
      Thank you for your compliments! I treasure them. As I replied to Jodi, there were a few times when the tension and concentration got the better of me and I had to 'walk it off' to regain some calm and composure. We were with 10 different people and it is great to see that everybody produced some stunning bookcovers. No two were the same. Apart from a master craftsman Jens is also very inspirational. I am happy to have participated in this workshop.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  6. Wat een prachtig boek omslag, zeer zekers goed gelukt en dat voor de eerste keer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel, Gonda. Ik ben er ook verguld mee!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  7. Oh my Heavens, Huibrecht, what an amazing little project!!! You are so fortunate to be able to take part in these workshops! I have sincere admiration for anyone who works in metal and ceramics on a tiny scale..... opportunities I have not had! Your book cover is beautiful! You will always be able to look at it and know it was the first... perhaps of many that you make! It will look fantastic wherever it is displayed! I just Love the results! Well done!!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betsy, Yes indeed I have been fortunate to have taken part in this workshop. They fill up very quickly and have a lot of repeat customers as you cab well imagine. The first of many? Oh I do hope so! Let's see in the coming years if I am that lucky. I will do my best at least!

      This book is already special to me. It will get a prominent place in the house but I do not yet know where. It is not very large, so it could very well become Lady Zonneschut's prayer book? Who knows.

      Huibrecht

      Delete