Monday 16 January 2023

Little Country pleasures


Hello my friends,

Already it is the middle of january. There is some progress on the dressing room for lady Zonneschut, but I will show you that soon in another post. Today I want to show you the progress made on the first workshop I attended in 2023. And for those of you who have been following my little blog for a while, will recognise in the first picture one of the steps of painting porcelain. 

Sometimes I decorate plates and vases in freehand. But here, just like the tile tableaux of Prince Maurits and Prince Frederick of Orange, I prefer to transfer the scenes onto the tiles first. And this stage is done at home so that I can start with the actual painting as soon as possible during the workshop.

In the picture above you can see prints of designs used for painted tiles made in Rotterdam from the 17th up to the 19th century. Rotterdamse Pleziertjes (tegels-uit-rotterdam.com) These were meant for single tiles but when you reduce it 12 times little remains of the little country scenes. These scenes are called 'pleziertjes' (pleasures) and depict scens of people enjoying the good life. Either in stately gardens or in the countryside. 

I chose 3 scenes and intend to use these tableaux in the tiled kitchen. They look like an echo of the gardens and landscape that surround Huis ter Swinnendael bat are not visible. The fourth tableau is not intended for the kitchen and is not a 'pleziertje'. But more on that later. 


I colour the backs of these images with pencil, tape them onto the tiles and then draw over every line with a ballpoint pen, pressinggraphite from the back of the image onto the tiles underneath. 
When you have traced all the necessary lines of the drawings you get something like you see in the pictures above. 

You can also see the big tile with the little 'tableaux-to-be' in a blue box. This is a lunchbox that held some lovely presents I received for Christmas from Birgit of the Biwubaeries blog! I whill show you those lovely gifts she send me in the next post on the progress on the dressing room.



This picture is taken during the workshop given by Cocky Wildschut. As you know I try to attend every year one or two times. More if possible. Because I so love to do this. The first step is rather easy. Simply retracing all the pencillines with 'drawing ink' (porecelain paint in a different mixture from paint used for painting).

At this stage you can add or leave out a few details if you so wish, but you do not yet fill areas in with colour. That will be done during my second workshop of this year after these lines are fixed due to firing these tiles.

The "inked" drawings look a bit smudgy but that is the loose graphite powder of the traced drawing. That will burn away during firing making the result more crisp and smooth than it looks now.


And what about that fourth tableau? Well that is a design of my own creation. It shows you the heraldic crest of the Zonneschut family enveloped in a rococo frame and held up by two hounds. Those of you who have followed this blog for some time will know I love hounds. And therefor I only find it fitting to have them supporting the crest rather than lions or other animals. 

When you look closely you can see that one supporter is female (in honour of Tara) while the other is male (in honour of the late Bosie).

The motto written on the scroll around the base reads "Ut vitam cum grano salis" which happens to be my personal motto. (what a coincidence ) ;-)

It translates in english (litteraly) as "take life with a grain of salt", which means to me "Do not take everything too seriously". In other words a little levity from time to time makes life nicer. Do with it, or think of it, what you will. But I am happy to have this as my personal motto.

Just like the tableaux I painted earlier all will get a monochrome decoration in blue. Except this one. The two red fields in the escutcheon (and the collars as a detail) are already filled in. In the next workshop I will fill in the two yellow fields and the blue around the diamond shapes. This exception will let the coat of arms stand out from the otherwise monochromatic tableau. 

But I will have to wait until the end of march to continue on these pieces. So back to the dressing room!

Be well, 

Huibrecht 



8 comments:

  1. Muy bonitos los diseños escogidos. Y tu creación, muy original. Me gusta como quedan los galgos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por tu bonito comentario Isabel. Me alegra que te guste como quedan los galgos. amo mucho a los galgos!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. I love the new tiles project and the motto, too! Can't wait to see the tiles develop - you are getting awfully good at this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jodi. The motto helps to maintain a relaxed attitude to those things in life that are not really important enough to wind oneself up about too much. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. I am very late this time... but this can have advantages... like being able to enjoy two stunning posts of yours during one blog visit! ;O)

    You may have noticed by now that I'm always in awe with your painting skills, especially when you're showing them while decorating tiles. These country scene tiles will become awesome and I really like the tiles showing the coat of arms. What a touching detail with the hounds... and yes, I can tell who is who. I also like the family's motto and I'm not surprised that it matches so well with your own life motto as there must be somehow a connection between the Zonneschut family and yourself... *tweet*

    It was very lovely for me to find out what wonderful uses this box can have - and in my opinion it's a big honor for my/your box to protect your precious work in progress during transport. Sorry that you'll have to wait so long until bringing the box with its content back to Cocky's workshop... but on the other hand, you have enough other things to do to keep you occupied. And I will now have a look at some of the things you did apart from painting the most gorgeous tiles in your latest post...

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Birgit, Your nice and witty comments always touch me and make me smile. Thank you. I am glad that you like the hounds as crest bearers. Your box is indeed very useful and practical. It transports the tiles safely to and fro.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. Hi Huibrecht! I am so far behind on everything I have not had time to comment on your beautiful tiles! You are so fortunate to be able to take these workshops and end up with self-made real ceramic tiles!!! The patterns are lovely and I especially approve of the beautiful hounds on the coat of arms! The motto is more than perfect, it is necessary to have laughter in life! As always I look forward to your posts and your wonderful work and your humor! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betsy, Indeed I am very lucky to be able to follow these workshops. And they add a great touch of realism to the rooms I want to build and furnish. I am glad that you like the coat of arms I am making. And I agree, we all need some laughter in life. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete