Tuesday 28 March 2023

Weapon of choice


Hello my friends,

The first post of this month and already march is almost over. It shows you how busy I have been these last few weeks. No mini-time at all alas. But luckily I had a workshop in my  agenda so that this month is not completely lost for miniatures. Last weekend I attended another Workshop for porcelain painting. I used this day to finish up the four tile tableaux I started in januari. 

So the 'weapon' in this posts title refers to the paint brush! My 'personal weapon of choice  would most probably be the pen, but since I write almost everything I do on the computer I probably pick up brushes more often than pens nowadays... So the brush it is!


In january I ended up with these four  tableaux. The four drawings I prepared in pencil in advance were 'inked' during thAt workshop and the red was already added to the Zonneschut family crest.  When these were fired in the kiln afterwards, the little morcels of Pritt buddies that sticks them on the tile underneath evaporated into a powder. 

So the first job this day was to brush away all that powder, clean the large tile and the 84 little ones, and stick them all back onto the large tile with new pieces of Pritt buddies. that process was going on in the picture below. 


After these preliminary tasks the workshop could begin un earnest for me. We were at Cocky's house with the same group of people as in january. It is a great group of people and we had a lot of fun in between the more serious subjects we discussed around the workshop table. And it happened a few times that we suddenly all fall silent while concentrating on our miniature porcelain. But as soon as it was time for tea, a snack, or a little pause, we resumed the trail(s) of conversation where we had left off.

Just as with the making of the Tableaux of the two princes last year, this time I added colour and shades to fill in the line drawings. This gives them body and some depth. The clouds were difficult to do because they were not drawn previously but had to be made by using a paint brush alone. With one brush you add some small C-scrolls in paint onto the blank sky. Then with a dry wide brush you lightly brush over them to brush them out and lift off some of the paint again. This way I try to make it light and airy. Cocky showed me the method and told it is the same or at least similar method used to paint clouds on antique tiles. It was fun to do, and more importantly, another technique learned. 


At the end of the day The result was as you can see in this picture. Four tableaux waiting to be fired for the last time. The three landscapes are intended for the kitchen and the crest carried by the hounds wil go in the fireplace of the steward's office. 

That is it for now. I end the post like I started it, with another close up. Just remember that when you look at these enlarged, that the 5 tile width of this tableau equals just 5 centimeters or two inches. :-)

The next workshop will be in early June. For now I have made enough tableaux. Next time I will decorate a few plates or a pair of vases.

Hugs, 

Huibrecht

10 comments:

  1. Hi Huibrecht! I am so glad you had "painting mini tiles" on your agenda!! They look fantastic! It is wonderful to see the close-up picture... I love the view of the house and garden with the hosts greeting a guest! It shows hospitality and grandeur and a peaceful way of life! Learning how the clouds are constructed is a good skill! I will keep this in mind if I am ever so lucky as to be able to paint mini tiles! I look forward to seeing more soon! And I hope your life will allow you more time for minis too! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, I am glad that you like them. Showing an idealised garden/landscape with elegant people is in a way the purpose of these three tableaux. Thank you for liking my description of painting the clouds on porcelain. But looking at your own superb paintwork (i.e. the chapel) you don't need a lo of tips from me I guess. ;-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. It was so nice to see you posted this morning, Huibrecht! Your presence has been missed!

    All this detail in just two inches is mind blowing! You truly have a skill for the artistry of tile making. The feathered clouds came out wonderfully and I really love the look of the shading, especially on the hounds' bellies! I just love the scenes you imagined and am really looking forward to seeing them in the kitchen and the crest above the fireplace. It will be all the more special because you have taken us along on the journey with you!

    Hope April offers much more mini time for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, thank you, I am glad to be back. I am glad that you like the tableaux! The kitchen will take quite some time to make, unfortunately. But we will get there in the end. Up to today I have spent more time on miniatures than i could the whole of march, which sounds promising to me! :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. Ongelooflijk, hoor! Dat je zo veel detail op zo'n klein tegeltje kan schilderen. Ergens in mijn huis liggen een paar kleine tegels van het souterrain van het Dinghuis in Maastricht - die van jou lijken er erg op. Heel mooi gedaan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel Marijke, Ik ben zelf ook best trots op het resultaat. Maar inmiddels heb ik afgelopen jaar bijna 200 tegeltjes beschilderd. Dus de volgende workshop worden het weer vazen of borden!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. Like the others I could easily tell a tale (or two, three, four...) about the cruelty and brutality of close-ups taking from selfmade miniatures. *LOL* It never stops to amaze me how flaws are showing up at photos which had never been there according to my eyes in reality. So a deep bow for your excellent painting skills, the details in your last picture are so well captured and the result is - even more regarding the small size - brillilant and absolutely well done. You and your brushes are a dream team!

    And it was so nice to hear you've enjoyed another workshop, having a great time with the other miniaturists and learning fascinating things from Cocky. Getting advice from such an outstanding artist is a gift, so good she is so generously sharing her talent. And it's easy to see what's happening when an outstanding artist is sharing her talent to a very, very talented miniaturist. Wonderful work!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes the brutality of close-ups indeed! I recognise this. I it sometimes cruel how photo's reveal tiny mistakes that are unseen by the naked eye. Oh well, luckily everybody has to deal with this phenomenon. That makes it easier to accept. but still... :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete