Friday 2 June 2023

Furniture: A diva's day bed. The frame

 


Hello my friends,

In my last post on the dressingroom you could see the card stock 'yogamat' lying on the floor of the room. It was a place holder for the day bed I want to make for this room. 
In my mind this room is a cosy place for Belle to retire to during the day when she feels like doing so. In her day this day bed is almost a 100 year old heirloom. But too comfy to replace it. Since noone will (dare) enter this room uninvited (not even Carel Polyander), there is no need for the interior to be fashionable nor impressive. Just cosy and personal. 


I have a kit for a House of Miniatures Chippendale style day bed. Notwithstanding the quality of the kit, I do not like this model. But the cabriole legs are great. Taking these as a starting point, and finding two more matching corner legs to replace the straight legs belonging to the kit's back rest... well, the game was afoot!


I'm so happy that I found the needed cabriole legs! Normally I sand them to round off all the cornersI.  But here I chose not to do so. Because I needed some straight sides to fix the stretchers to with glue.


Here I'm using street ahead spindles as stretchers between the legs add some support. I choose these particular spindles because of their length of 5 cm (+/- 2 inch) and their thickness of only 3 mm. Most spindles of this length are thicker. They probably work as well but I like the more delicate look of these.


After the woodglue has dried, I need to paint the wooden parts of the frane that will remain visible. And because the woodglue will prevent me from staining this piece in a nice uniform colour, I will paint it. And for the colour scheme I want to use the cream base colour with the crimson coloured decorations like I did on this small table with a leg turned by me already a few years ago. 



The cream colour is the tough bit to recreate because it is a mixture of paints I did not write down at the time. I know the colours used. But not the exact quantities of each colour. After some trial and error I have come very close to the original colourmix. If I may say so myself.


I test it on a new table top first. Because I have always felt that the original round table top was too small for the table. This small oval table top from a mini mundus kit is larger and I think it is better suited on this table. 


After the coat of paint on the oval table top has dried, I add another tiny tiny bit of cadmium yellow to the mixture and paint the frame for the daybed and repaint the table top.  When dry, I sand it, clean it, and give the frame a second coat of paint. 


When that coat of paint has dried as well I start decorating it with Alizarine Crimson. (Mind you, could that not have been a great name for a witch in Harry Potter!) I started with the design on the right leg. And then painted a variant on the left leg. The decoration on the right looked too much like a squished scorpion to me. So the one on the left it will be. 


The decorations on this frame, Just as with the small ocasional table are inspired by William & Mary pieces. And now it is time for the upholstery! But that is for the next post!

Huibrecht 


6 comments:

  1. Hi Huibrecht! The new day bed you are making looks wonderful already! I agree with you that the House of Miniatures one just didn't look right... the back legs not matching the rest made it seem a "hybrid" without coherent design. I love the paint design you are adding... I know how hard it is to paint around curves! The color is very inviting and I look forward to seeing what you choose for the upholstery and the back rest! Keep up the wonderful inspiring work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, I am glad that you agree. The original kit is a faithful copy of a Chippendale design of which a few originals survive to this day, so there is no fault there. But I too prefer the earlier designs and try to recreate that. The fabric is rather a contrasting than a complementary colour, so I hope you will agree with my choice. :-)

      Huibrecht.

      Delete
  2. I love how you have taken the kits and components and reimagined them into something that works better for your purposes! I love doing the same with mini kits - it makes doing them much more fun! As always. I am so impressed with your delicate painting skills! Even with tiny brushes, it takes great skill to create consistent, steady decorations like you seem to do effortlessly! I am super excited to see the finishes daybed and which fabric you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ho Jodi, I know you do the same with kits, and more! It is safe to say that you are for me an inspiration to add to and modify kits and miniatures to better suit them to my purposes, just like you do.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. I see you had a lot of fun meanwhile with kit bashing! *smile* Wonderful work, and such an improvement without the straight legs and the stretchers you've added. And as always I am in awe with your painting skills. The squished scorpion made me grin - and I'm with you, the one on the left looks much better and more suitable for Lady Belle because to me it looks like an angel, the kind of Christmas tree topper folk art we call "Rauschgoldengel". The colour combination is so pretty and feminine and I really can't wait to see it with its upholstery. Oh, and not to forget... I'm convinced Alizarine Crimson would cast a protection spell on this beautiful piece of furniture. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Birgit, a Rauschgoldengel? I had not thought of that but you are right, it has some resemblance! That gives me the idea of lady Belle supported by little cherubs while resting on this day bed. :-)
      I too hope that lady Alizarine is a good witch, perhaps a flutterbeary even? In that case no doubt that she will cast protective spells. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete