Friday 1 December 2023

An arrogant man...


Hello my friends,

I promised that my next post would be the finished dressing room of lady Anne Belle Zonneschut. But this little post comes in between.

One of the little treasures I bought in Arnhem was not included in my october post on the DHN show of 2024. But it is here now. The reason for that is that when I found it, I only had enough cash left to make a downpayment. Last week the artist and I met in Arnhem and exchanged the painting for me paying the remainder of the price.

This  portrait is painted by Jaap Wijtenburg, who paints large and small paintings and portraits. And he also makes the frames for the miniature ones by hand. This frame is made of wood with details in sculpy or such material to turn it into a proper 18th century picture frame.

Now when I saw this watercolour of a late 18th century gentleman in a silk house robe I was immediately smitten! For surely that is a portrait of none other than Carel Polyander Zonneschut?

It is not a copy of an existing portrait, but Jaap's own composition inspires by different portraits of that age. He told me frankly, that he does not find the man very sympathetic. He actualy titled this portrait "the nasty man". This because the man looks arrogant and selfcentered. I actualy think that he looks a bit bashful. 

 Arrogant or not, I fell in love with this portrait the moment I saw it! It is a water colour with added pastels to give it the appearance of a portrait in pastels. Drawing with pastels was a favorite hobby for noble and well to do ladies in the 18th century. And often portraits of friends and family were made. 

So I like to think that Anna Belle made this portrait of Carel Polyander at their leasure on some sunny afternoon, before the advent of the revolutions of the latter quart of that century.... 

Huibrecht


12 comments:

  1. Dear Huibrecht, The portrait is very well done! Portraits at any size or type are difficult to do! The frame is also lovely and it is good to know it was hand made by the artist! It gives me hope that "someday"... I might try to paint some small paintings for my houses. I think you are right... he looks a little shy... also saying "Why would you want to draw my picture....?" I can understand just why you needed this for your house! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy. With your talent in painting (just think of the christmas cards, the chapels ceiling and other projects you have painted) those your miniature portraits and landscapes will be wonderful to look at. No doubts there!

      Delete
  2. It is a lovely portrait and a beautiful frame, Huibrecht! The artist did an amazing job, especially around the eyes and especially since he has such a visceral feeling about the subject. I am reminded of a time when my daughter, then eleven, came to me while I was lost in thought and asked me why I was angry. I was not angry at all and was taken aback that my expression had given her that impression. Since then I have always tried to be aware so that my facial expression reflects my true emotions. Many years later the phrase "resting bitch face" began being used in the US and I had to laugh. It was actually a thing, lol! Like you, I am going to choose to believe that Carel was a super guy who just didn't feel very confident about the way the painter would portray him. I find him handsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is handsome isn't he :-) I know the term "Resting Bitch face" and I don't like it. Just like the phrase "I shit you not". I may very well hope so that you do not... Not that I can't stand or never use coarse language myself, but only when there is an occasion for it. :-)

      But I recognise your story of your daughter. When I am lost in thought people sometimes think that I am very cranky or annoyed. I try to be aware of that too, but when the mind wanders....

      Delete
  3. He looks wistful to me....really enjoying your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous, welcome! Wistful is indeed a very good description of his look!

      Delete
  4. Isn't it amazing how many different impressions and interpretations one portrait can rise? To me it's a mixture of "funny and strange" that the artist himself calls this "The nasty man" and thinks that gentleman is arrogant as I see nothing of this in him. But I can truly see why you had no doubt you had just met Carel and that you consider him a bit bashful. I must say I'm with Anonymous... wistful, yes, I agree... to me he seemed sad and melancholic. Well, I would suggest we can agree that it's a sign of good art leaving room for own interpretations and the fact that this portrait causes so many different impressions is a sign for really good art. ;O)

    This portrait - whatever mood the guy now identified as Carel Polyander may have in the end - is a masterpiece. I'm in awe with the skills of the artist, reaching this level in such a small size is amazing. And it's also great that he even created the frame. Anyhow, maybe some day this gifted artist might draw a matching portrait showing a lovely lady called Belle and we will wonder in what kind of mood she may be.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Birgit,

      Yes you are absolutely right! The face looks different to different people. And I agree with Anonymous too. Wistful is in my opninion the best description. I may ask the artist to make a companion piece of Belle, but I have already asked another miniature painter to make a (slightly altered) miniature version of a portrait of Princess Maria Cunegonda von Sachsen. She is in my mind a good personification of Belle in her later years.

      Delete
  5. 'n beetje onnozel, mischien? Heel mooi portretje,krijgen we gauw het te zien in Anna Belle's kamertje?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Marijke. Onnozel, zo zou je het inderdaad ook kunnen noemen. Goed opgemerkt. Het is grappig dat de schilder de blik zo heeft gevangen dat iedereen een andere blik in leest. :-)

      Delete