Sunday 19 May 2019

Workshops! Learning and making new things.

My loot from the Show in Arnhem of last march
 Hello My friends. First a welcome to Isabel Ruiz Alonso for becoming the newest follower of my blog.

It has been very quiet in here these last few months. Not for lack of interest but because of the lack of time. A lot has happened these last 4 months. Some of these things were very good others were sad. Each of these things needed time and attention. And as all of you may know, that puts ones hobby on hold.

But luckily I have yet again time to devote to miniatures and I wanted to let you know that now that spring is in full bloom, so too Swinnendael is coming back on track.  :-)
Not that I have done nothing. I have bought some wonderful miniatures. All of great makers. I will show some of them in the coming weeks. But for me this hobby is also important in the sense that I want to máke things.

It is only miniatures yet. Rooms have to wait until after we moved to another house next month. That's right, We are selling our house and moving to a neighbouring town. Unfortunately moving the furniture is not as easy as moving the miniatures. :-)


But I did follow two workshops! The first was a workshop for miniature marbling. The workshop was given by Simone van Kasbergen prior to the Anhem Dollhouse Show last march. First she taught me the technique for making Carrara Bianca, white marble with grey veins. The white basecoat the different colours of grey we mixed with white and a tiny amounts of black. And then the difficult part of layering the stains and veins in order to produce a realistic translucency, depth and design of the marble.


After trying it out on a piece of cardboard we started on a plaster fireplace. You may recognise it as one of the models made by Alison Davies. It so happens that I already wanted this model for the small salon on the bell-etage of Swinnendael. So the fact that Simone had chosen this fireplace for the workshop was very fortuitous indeed! 



And here is the result. I could not finish the gold painted details in time but I am very happy with the result. I have the gold paint and varnish to finish it now. The workshop was great fun and Simone is a great teacher who has given me a lot of tips about the techniques of faux marbling and the intricacies of different types of marble.

In the picture above you also see my loot from the Show in Arnhem besides the fireplace. I did not buy the miniature Khang-Xi vase, that was a birthday gift from last year. But I did buy a lovely copper candlestick from small-scale and three porcelain plates made by Cocky Wildschut. And that brings me to my second workshop this year. Miniature porcelain painting! I myself a lover of porcelain and although I do not really collect it (1:1) myself, a house like Swinnendael can't be furnished without a decent collection of Delftware and Chinese and Japanese porcelain!  



And so, after talking to Cocky and her husband Rien in Arnhem I bought a few plates and applied for one of her workshops.  With a small group of enthusiasts we gathered in Cocky's studio in her garden. I was the only one who had not attended a previous workshop but that was not a problem. Everyone could work at their own pace and on their own projects. In order to learn to paint porcelain, there are a few steps you need to follow. First we started with a small plate with a Kakiemon design. Some of you may recognise it as the design of the plates in the kitchen/diningrooom of the Petronella Oortman in the Rijksmuseum. 

In the picture above is my version of that plate. I am very happy with the result. The second plate shown on the black velvet was the next design I made. Unfortunately I totally forgot to take a picture of my plate but it looks quite similar to the original. :-)



For me everything was new. Cocky helped me patiently every step of the way. I finished the two plates quite quickly. So after I had finished I had time to spare. It was certainly not enough try my hand at the large bowl for workshop 2, but Cocky suggested to me, to try a free hand decoration. Who was I to say no at this opportunity? I chose a five sided plate and a reference plate for the decor of a bird on the branch of a little tree. The above picture is the result. The border decoration is my own invention and I experimented a bit with shading the blue paint.  

I am very happy with the result but you can aso see that I still have a lot to learn. It was great fun and I had a jolly good time! If I get the chance I will certainly follow another of Cocky's workshops. 

That's it for this post. I have also made a few miniatures of my own. I will show you those as soon as I have finished them. And furthermore I have had the opportunity to buy some exquisite miniatures I will show some of those pretty soon as well.

Thank you for popping in. Feel free to leave a comment below. Enjoy your own projects and till the next time!



Huibrecht




9 comments:

  1. Hi Huibrecht! Wat een geweldig goed resultaat voor jouw cursus porselein beschilderen bij Cocky, zeg, plus mooie nieuwe aanwinsten voor Swinnendael!
    De open haard van Allison Davies is werkelijk prachtig geworden, fijn dat ook die workshop goed gelukt is.
    Hopelijk krijg je spoedig weer wat meer tijd voor jouw hobby, good luck met de verhuizing.
    Groetjes, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Ilona, De workshops waren allebei heerlijk om te doen. Het lezen over een techniek en het zelf uitproberen is soms niet genoeg om het te snappen. Les en uitleg van een expert maakt de leercurve wel zo sneller en effectiever. Dit waren zeker niet mijn laatste workshops!

      Delete
  2. ¡Gracias por la bienvenida! Es un lujo poder hacer todos esos talleres y además has sacado un bonito rendimiento.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias rosa De hecho disfruté los talleres. Todavía puedo aprender mucho de esos expertos. Me ayudaron mucho a entender esas técnicas.

      Delete
  3. Wat een schitterend resultaat heb je van het porselein beschilderen...
    Heb je toegevoegd aan de lijst op mijn blog die ik graag bekijk.
    En... dank je voor jouw reactie op mijn blog!
    fijne dag,
    groetjes van Marijke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Marijke en welkom. Dank je wel, ik vond het ook heel leuk om te doen. Ik zal jouw blog ook met interesse blijven volgen.

      Groetjes

      Hubert

      Delete
  4. Dear H , you have inspired me to try porcelaine painting as like you I would love a blue and white collection for my Ramsay House ! In RL I try to collect Imari and I have some 18th century bowls, all chipped or broken but still lovely. Huggss Mrs M

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to have inspired you. :-)
    In Schotland or in France it must be possible to find a similar workshop. Porcelain would look good in Ramsay House I am sure. Many great houses in Britain have excuisite collections.
    Apart from the blue and white I also love Imari ware. Kakiemon ware(sometimes called Arita ware) Is my favorite however. But i am not fortunate enough to own a single piece. One day! :-)

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would so love to be mobile !! I live in the middle of nowhere, miles from a train station and I Don't drive ! In 18 months time I am going to move to another region and nearer 'civilisation' and post offices and train stations. When I go up to Scotland I have friends from Paris who house and dog sit for me. I worked for so many years in couture and travelling so much I went totally the other way and buried myself here in the country. Luckilly I have my two dogs to actually talk to ! One day I will be workshopping all over the place, maybe even giving some who knows, life has such a way of turning round , huggssss !!!

      Delete