Thursday 5 March 2020

An (un)expected gift

Hello my friends,

I love a surprise as much as anyone. A little time ago Mrs M. (Stephanie) whom you may know from her blog Madness, promissed to send me a few pieces of thin leather. Leather that I could use for upholstery, book covers, sword sheaths and such. Apart from furniture and travelcases, I will have an entire library to fill with leatherbound books. Every piece is therefore welcome and apreciated. 

When her parcel arrived this weekend I was surprised by the size of it. She had sent me an email telling that she had added a few extra things, without giving spoilers, away, but I still dit not expect a box of that size.


She had included two lovely miniatures that she has made herself. A decorated card board box containing a book or diary. and a marbled teacaddy with two cannisters. Both with lovely decorations! And then there were a few more pieces. Two ceramic birds, who are 'feves'. Feves are trinkets hidden in a king cake. The lucky finder may end up with a broken tooth, but at least he or she will be kong/queen for a day. :-) Porcelain figurines of birds were popular in the eighteenth century so I am happy with those. Perhaps I will paint them to give them a more pastel look.

https://www.apollo-magazine.com/interview-with-ivan-day-food-historian/
The white structure in the front of the group is a resin miniature copy of the mormon temple of saltlake city. Now I am not a mormon so what to do with this? It did not take me long to find a nice use for it.  In the diningroom of Huis ter Swinnendael preperations are made for a festive banquet. So there or in the kitchen this temple will become part of the centerpiece. A castle made of sugarpaste. Placed on a base, with some (fimo) whipped cream around it and gold leaf decorated spires it will become a very ornate table decoration. From the renaissance until the second half of the 19th century these decorations were a must have for every banquet worthy of the name. :-)


But wait there was more. It contained several pieces of brown leather that will come in very handy with a lot of the projects I have planned. On top of the leather lies a few yards of broderie Anglaise which may certainly come in handy for decorative trim and such.


Then there were several resin ornaments. The frames are excuisite! They will certainly find a place in Huis ter Swinnedael.  I also love the winged Lions and the medallions. Lets see what I can use in Huis ter Swinnendael.The gold colloured rings probably come from buttons. I think they will make great frames for silhouettes. The crown is lovely. I have a few ideas for that one.


Last but not least, Mrs. M. put some pieces of furniture in the box. 2 kits from The house of miniatures, a candlestand and a sideboard, and a little bureau. For handling delicate miniatures she included some white gloves. And lastly a little notebook. I use several for my project and this one will come in handy too! I love the cardboard cover made from recycled material.

In short, I have been spoiled rotten. Thank you very much Mrs. M! Many items will surely find their way in Huis ter Swinnendael. Those that may not, will find a new home!

Well thats it for now. This weekend is the DHN fair in Arnhem. Despite the fears for the Covid 19 virus I will be going to Arnhem. There are a few infections now in the Netherlands, with most new cases from the immediate circle of the first victims. The governement has decided not to forbid public event because the medical authorities find that the risk of infection is still very low. So I see no reason not to go.

I hope to see some of you there. 

Huibrecht 

13 comments:

  1. Jemig, jij bent eens eventjes verwend, Huibrecht. Dit is écht giga véél, wat Mrs. M. jou heeft toegestuurd!! Je ziet het dus al helemaal voor je, van wat je waar voor zou kunnen gebruiken, geniet ervan, wij zullen het hier ooit gaan zien ;).
    Tja, wat betreft de show van morgen en overmorgen.....voor mij is 't even aanzien hoe de ontwikkelingen zullen zijn, want ik val in de categorie van "oppassen" met mijn gezondheid. Vooralsnog wil ik gewoon gaan, we zullen zien.
    Fijne dag toegewenst.
    Groetjes, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja ik ben zeker verwend! Het kan kort duren, het kan lang duren, maar jullie krijgen het resultaat zeker te zien.

      Delete
  2. Mr H, how kind you are in your words ! I am so happy that you liked the box of bits and pieces and I am sure that over the months you will find uses for some of it. Have fun, huggss Mrs M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I mean every one of them mrs. M. I will enjoy using these miniatures and materials. And those that I can not use will find another good home.

      Delete
  3. Wat een leuke verrassing zo, sinterklaas en kerst op één dag... en dat in maart!. Ik ben benieuw wat je er allemaal van gaat maken.
    Veel plezier op de beurs in Arnhem.
    Groetjes Mieke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazeker Mieke, Ik ben gruwelijk verwend. Mijn verjaardag is in februari, dus misschien kan ik het daar nog net onderschuiven.:-)

      Delete
  4. Wat een verwennerij, Huibrecht! Ik ben benieuwd naar wat en hoe het allemaal een plekje gaat krijgen maar dat is aan jou wel besteed! De tempel staat prachtig op de tafel. Veel plezier morgen op de beurs in Arnhem en we kijken uit naar de blogpost met al jouw aankopen ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je Monique. Zoals ik net al zei, die post staat ook in de steigers. Nog één nachtje slapen. :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh such a wonderful package full of possibilities! Very thoughtful of Stephanie and what lucky items to be in your hands for your (soon to be) amazing house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I look forward to use some items very soon. It is very sweet of her to be so generous.

      Delete
  6. Huh??? Have I missed something while being very busy with installing my new Computer after my old trusted one decided to quit on me? Is it already Christmas again???

    Well, seeing all those treasures Mr. M sent you so generously and thoughtfully causes thoughts like these. "Spoiled rotten" is an expression that really makes sense here… ;O) Enjoy playing along with all these fabulous and useful pieces.

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Birgit, no don't be alarmed. Your new computer has not thrown you in a timewarp. It is march and I have been spoiled. Christmas is still 9 months away. And i will enjoy it all tremendously. :-)

      Delete
  7. Hallo Linda, dank je wel. Ja ik ben zaterdag gegaan en heb zeker heel wat mooie spulletjes gevonden. Die laat ik binnenkort zien. Als jij ook bent geweest hoop ik dat jouw bezoek ook geslaagd is.

    ReplyDelete