Monday 7 December 2020

A (terracotta) bust is a must

Hello my friends, welcome back. The last few years I have bought several kits and miniatures that only need to be finished. Looking at all those items to make or to finish there should be something that could be done while "in between miniatures". Then I saw the two busts I bought from Alison Davies last year.


A Roman emperor and a lady. Quite popular models by Alison Davies, cast in white resin. Often you see these finished as aged sandstone or marble. Beautiful, but I wanted something different, but what? Busts come in all kinds of materials besidse stone or marble. Just think of wood, (blackened) bronze, lead, pewter, (glazed) terracotta, painted porcelain, et cetera. You name it!


So  I wanted to try something new. A painted terracotta finish. Terracotta was used by artists for studies before the attempted cutting the bust in marble. It was also used for making copies.  For those who can work with clay it is a wonderfull material that can be teased into almost any shape or form.

There are probably very good articles and tutorials on creating a faux terracotta finish. But I could not find one. So I had to think up a method myself. Terracotta is not rjustone colour. but a range of different colour (tones and hues) Depending on the type of clay used the natural colour of the real material goes from soft grey to pink and from sandy yellows to a beige with a burgundy hue. That natural variety gives quite a lot of freedom. After I found pictures of good examples I tried to recreate their colour.


First I aplied an undiluted layer of acrylic paint called terra. As you can see for yourself, this looks way to orange! As if it came from a factory where they make brand new terracotta sewer pipes. yikes! I had expected this because this is meant as the basecoat to shine through the next layers. And so, after it had dried, I applied a second layer of pinkish beige. Something close to a light skin tone. 


The result looked quite promising colour wise. much better than the basecoat Unfortunately this colour did not come in matte finish. As you can see on the picture above it is way to shiny! It almost looks like it is glazed! Not good! I apllied a matte varnish but that dit not tone down the sheen in any way. So varnish was not going to help me with this.  


So what now? In a local store I found (vallejo) pigment powders used on miniature (train) diorama's and such. typically for ageing and such. This could help. I aplied a thin layer of medium and a dusting of the powder. When the medium dried I rubbed the bust with a soft cloth. I ended up with this as a result. Quite dark but it has that subdued sheen that (older) terracotta often has. 


The darkness in the last picture was replaced with a lighter result after it had fully dried (took quite some time) The end result can be seen on the picture above. I am very happy with the result. 

I also painted 2 1:24 vases. I followed the same steps but omitted the first step of painting them in terra like the bust. So the skintone paint was added directly on the resin vases. Because of poor light (it is a rainy day) it is a bit hard to see compared now, but their terracotta colour is actualy a bit paler and more yellow than the bust. Just like with gilding, the base colour affects the final outcome of the colour. 

I have enjoyed this little trial and error. The result is even better as I had hoped. I had expected to need to use more layers of paint to achieve this effect. And who knows some of you may benefit from it someday. :-)

Huibrecht 




14 comments:

  1. Zeer realistisch geworden, Huibrecht, en met 'n goede ondertoon erin. Wat een goeie tip om de Vallejo poeders ervoor te gebruiken, ook al vanwege het benodigde matte eindresultaat. Mag ik vragen: welk medium heb je voor het gebruikt vóór het Vallejo poeder?
    Ik kon zelfs het kleurverschil onderscheiden op de onderste foto, maar niet voordat je het vermeldde ;O).
    Laat je de Romeinse man wit, of...?
    Fijn dat je weer in de mini's zit, welkom bij de club ;O)!!
    Blijf gezond, zorg goed voor elkaar.
    Groet, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel Ilona. Als medium heb ik 'matte medium' van Vallejo gebruikt. Dat verkopen ze naast de pigmentpoeders dus is dat gelukkig makkelijk te vinden bij de modelbouwwinkels.

      De Romein blijft niet wit. In Versailles en enkele ander musea zijn er romeinse bustes die zijn samengesteld uit verschillende kleuren marmer. Dat wil ik hier proberen. Bijvoorbeeld een rood porfieren kop, een geel marmeren uniform en een zwart marmeren voetje. Spannend of dat gaat lukken. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. Hoi Huibrecht, het terracotta-effect heb je goed weten te treffen! Mooi hoor! Het tafeltje past er ook prachtig bij! En nu je toch bezig bent mag een bustebeeld van jou natuurlijk niet meer ontbreken in Huis ter Swinnendael ;-) ! Groet, Monique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel Monique, het lukte beter dan ik oorspronkelijk had verwacht. Je hoopt dat het werkt maar ik ben nog niet zo ervaren dat al mijn aannames uitkomen. meestal niet namelijk ;-) maar dat is geen reden om het niet te proberen. :-)

      Een buste van mijzelf? Oh dat zou heel erg leuk zijn! Maar dat lijkt mij niet heel makkelijk te maken. maar wie weet, ooit...

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. This looks like such a fun medium to experiment with and I imagine will spark ideas for many applications! The bust and pots came out wonderfully, and what a fun in between project to keep the excitement alive while you work out more complicated issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Jodi. And it encourages me to have more "in between" projects when I am a little stuck with a larger one. It helps to regain enthousiasm and change perspective on projects that are a bit stuck.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. I can only agree... it's good to have some small inbetween-projects to keep yourself busy... and sometimes to have fun inbetween time-consuming tasks. The result of your bust painting efforts is stunning! And you even found a solution to achieve the typical finish for the surface which can not be achieved with acrylic paints. Using this power was a great idea - thanks for sharing. And now I wonder what your going to do with this other bust! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you like it. The sheen of the paint really annoyed me. The pigment powder was a great solution to that.

      My plan for the Roman bust is so complex that it will probablu not work out at all as planned. In versailles and some other museums there are busts of Roman emperors whch are assembled out of multiple colours of marble. Complex but very intruiging to try myself. I plan to make his head look like red porphyry, the harnass in yellow marble and the base in black marble. lets hope that it will work. fingers crossed!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. Ha sido un trabajo con mucho esfuerzo, pero has conseguido finalmente que quedan muy reales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias Isabel. el resultado me hace feliz.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, we are lucky to have Alison for all these goodies that make a difference. I cannot wait for her swept frames to be back in stock as I have been pestering her for over a year to make some ! hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do. I would not want to fill my entire house with her miniatures but using some here and there really enhances everything.

      The swept frames are on my wishlist too. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  8. Hallo Linda,

    Die vaasjes zijn eigen 1:24 en dus zijn ze inderdaad behoorlijk klein. Ik heb nog een setje. Maar die wil ik marmeren en op kleine pied de stallen zetten. om een nog aan te schaffen pendule te begeleiden op de schouw in de eetkamer. :-) Voor deze twee heb ik nog geen bestemming bepaald.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete