Friday 15 January 2021

The diningroom (Louis XVI); the fireplace


 Hello My friends,

I have not yet started construction on the diningroom but back in 2019 I already bought a fireplace that I want to use in that room.  It is one of Alison Davies designs. It is not a french design in my view but rather an English Georgian design. I think however that this fireplace wil fit in the Louis XVI diningroom anyway.

As you an see on the picture above of the mock up I made, the room wil be panelled with white panneling with details in gold. The large panels will be filled with a decorative classical landscape designed by Jurriaan Andriessen in the 18th century. But back to the fireplace. 


Originally I opted for a grey and blue colour of stone for the fireplace. But I changed my mind on that. A red  (faux) porphyr and a dark sandstone feels warmer and more apropriate for this room. Unfortunately sandstone was not used in houses like Huis ter Swinnendael for fireplaces in the 18th century because that is a stone effect thar would be much simpler to create than marbles or granites. Oh well, nobody forced me to build the house I am building. :-) So I should not really complain about that. 

I started by giving the fireplace a white basecoat. Once that was dry I painted the parts red that would become porphyre. I was quite happy with colourmix that I had made. But I mixed and use the paint in the evening in arteficial light. And I let that fool me, because the next day, in daylight it rather resembled firetruck red than anything else!

But luckily we can always add an extra layer of paint. So with a purplish brown coat of paint I gave the red a more apropriate hue for the stone. Once satisfied I mixed three paints with some white, some raw umber and quite a lot of medium to make it very liquid. A brownish gray, an orange and a pink. I dipped a brush in the emulsion, brushed of excess paint and tapped the brush with my hand. Little drops of paint splatteted on the fireplace. I did that with all three colours. I had to take care that the drops of paint were not to big.


You can see the effect in the above picture. I could not avoid the white parts of the mantlepiece being splattered too. But that is ok. The brown stone colour will hide those sufficiently. I added a bit more raw umber to the gray paint mix and used that to colour the white parts of the fireplace. Stippling, dabbing and turning the brush as I go to add some effect to the paint. All to avoid getting a single colour. After that I protected the paint and deepened the effect by aplying two coats of matte varnish. 

And here is the end result. A new fireplace. All I have to do now, is build the rest of the room around it. :-)

Huibrecht 

12 comments:

  1. Het geheel ziet er fraai uit, Huibrecht, en toch is 't altijd nog weer veel werk. En hoe je erover schrijft in de laatste zin, ik citeer: "alles wat ik nu moet doen is de rest van de kamer bouwen". Hmmmm juist en dàt zal nog de nodige tijd in beslag nemen.
    Maar om met jouw reactie op Betsy's blog te spreken: het houd je van de straat, dat is vooràl nu in deze tijd een goede zaak, toch? Hihihi ;O)!!
    Heel fijn weekend, blijf veilig!
    Groetjes, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja dat laatste heb ik natuurlijk tegen beter weten in zo nonchalant opgeschreven. :-)

      Maar ik kan het verder alleen maar beamen, het houdt mij van de straat. En met de aankomende avondklok zal dat voor mij geen enkel probleem zijn om vol te houden. hihi.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. Komt er rood, creme en goud-geel in the stoffering enz. van de meubels? Wat 'n mooie kleur, dat rode porphyry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel Marijke. Ja, het plan is om de stoelen in de eetkamer met rood gestreepte stof te bekleden. De gordijnen zullen ook rood worden.

      Delete
  3. You are the most amazing miniature strategist out there... what a stunning thing to have a 3D plan including even the future pictures, shelves etc. - and the colours. I suppose this way it was easier to go for the reddish stone effect... which was a wonderful decision, the fireplace turned out terrific.

    And the next step of your strategy sounds very reasonable and *ahem* easy to achieve... just build the room around the fireplace. That's what I call a great concept! *LOL*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Birgit, I could not help but laugh about your last remark. thank you. Humor is a nescessity in life. even more so during this pandemic. If we can't laugh and alleviate through humor anymore we are truly lost.

      But.. Yes it is true. Why does evereybody try to put a fireplace into an existing room? it is ridiculous. The other way around is so much easier! *lol*
      It is that I am too modest to say so myself but it is indeed, ahem, genious! ;-)

      But joking aside, I am happy to have built the little maquette for the house. I find it easier to visualise the end result than just drawings.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. Hi Huibrecht! Your fireplace turned out beautifully! The painting effects you used are very realistic! I am always aware that colors are not "true" by artificial light... but sometimes we try anyway or never get anything done in winter! I look forward to seeing the House build itself around your wonderful fireplaces.... it does help to have a clear sense of what you are aiming for! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy. The pink, orange, and grey for the splattering comes from a book dealing with all the classic decoration techniques. I would have thought that greys and beige alone would be better, but when you look at this fireplace from a half meter or more your eyes trick you and (espescially) the pink and orange blend in with the red and the grey to give a subtle overall effect.

      I would not have thought of it myself. But I am really happy with the result.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. Dank je wel Linda. De combinatie van kleuren vond ik zelf heel vreemd klinken. Ik heb het uit een boek voor verfdecoratietechnieken en daarom maar op hun oordeel vertrouwd. De foto's zijn heel erg ingezoomd waardoor je de verschillende kleuren van de afzonderlijke spatten goed kan zien. Vanaf een halve meter afstand echter, bedriegen de ogen ons en lijkt het daadwerkelijk heel redelijk op porfier.

    En dank je wel, maar de houten versie zal er hoe dan ook moeten komen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Huibrecht. What a fabulous fireplace. The richness in colour and texture is just amazing, I don't recall seeing a fireplace surround quite that rich before. Seeing it in your temporary model gives a nice perspective of how it will sit in the house.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete