Saturday 30 January 2021

Build in progress: Lady Zonneschut's dressing room. The carcass and the windowseat

Hello my friends,

If you think that the diningroom fireplace got me distracted from building the stewards office, than I can sure you it will get much worse! Because I have started building another room entirely! Not that I got bored with the office or that I am stuck. Not at all. 

On Facebook I saw that Thea van Hasselt started a new project for the year 2021. A group of 20 people work together on their respective room with a common theme. The theme this year is a 'Room in a castle.'

Everybody makes his or her own room and throughout the year there are assignments and workshops given by the participants. I liked the idea very much and so I was lucky to be the last one to sign up to comete the group of 20.

But what type of room to choose? We were advised to choose either a bedroom or a sittingroom. I wanted to do one of the bedrooms of Huis ter Swinnendael. But that posed a problem immediately. Both rooms are quite large. And I had to use what little material I have left. Due to the Covid restrictions I can not go out to buy materials. So I had to make do with what I have left. It was just enough to make the dressingroom in the west wing. But for now without the passage that runs along the back and without the cealing. But the covid restrictions will surely be relaxed/over when I get to working on those parts. Another advantage of this dressing room is that I can try out things here before I start work on the panneled and papered upstairs rooms in the east wing. All the mistakes that I may make here, I can avoid there. 
I glued the spacers that I have cut off for this room into place. 

The room is quite small, and is what we usualy call a 'kabinet'. These were small siderooms that could be used for a lot of things but were in essence private rooms where one would not be if not invited to do so by the occupant. often only accessible through other rooms instead of hallways for instance. The door in the back wall will get you to a landing though. Here this kabinet will be the dressingroom for lady Zonneschut. The door in the right wall will connect it to her bedroom via the closet that will house her personal toilet. The door in the left wall will be a fob door. Simply put in for the sake of symmetry. 
 
Now quite a lot will happen in this room, but for now I will concentrate on the windowseat. That is namely the group task for january. Now this windowseat will differ greatly from those in the Stewards office. Those are simple and functional. On this floor they are meant to be eleghant. Windows and dadorails in Dutch houses of this era are unusualy low. so the windowseat is subsequently quite low as well. in fact, just under the window sil. 

Because I have made the walls half as deep as they minimaly should be, (4-to 8 centimeter would be much more realsitic!) want to build the windowseat out a bit. I added two quarter round pieces on the sides and filled the remaining gap with a piece of mdf. From card, I cut out the design to enhance the front. When all was fixed in place with glue or otherwise I covered everything in a layer of gesso. When dry it will await the final colour when I start painting the walls. 

 For the seat I cut out a template and glued that onto a strip of wood and cut it out. I used walnut for this. Although painting it in the same colour as the rest of the woodwork would be the common thing to do in those days I do not want to lose the woos colour here. So I will stain it to give it a rich deep colour. To protect the stain I will not glue the seat in place yet. not after the walls have been finished and painted.

I want to make a long flat cushion for this windowseat out of an old silk vest I no longer wear myself. But that is a future project for another post. 

Huibrecht 




12 comments:

  1. Hi Huibrecht, wat 'n mooie en enthousiaste plannen: meedoen aan een (Fb)project én tegelijkertijd zelf verder bouwen aan jouw huis, twee in één. De start is al goed, je beschrijft duidelijk wat je van plan bent en het maken van de zitplaats bij het raam ziet er prima uit. Ik ben het volledig met je eens dat 't ontzettend jammer zou zijn om de prachtige houten zitting dicht te schilderen, het is inderdaad mooier om het een mooi laagje vernis te geven.
    Ik kan niet wachten om er meer van te gaan zien, wat fijn om nog een project van iemand te volgen op blogger.
    Fijne zondag gewenst.
    Blijf veilig en zorg goed voor elkaar.
    Groetjes, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi Ilona,

      Dank je wel. Ja ik heb er zin in. En het mooie is dat de meeste elementen bij deze kamers elkaar niet in de weg zitten dus ik kan ze grotendeels tegelijkertijd maken.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sí, es un gran proyecto, pero estoy deseando trabajar en ello!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. The last time I was admiring you for your stunning concept of just building a room around the fireplace you just had made... but now I see with awe that you made this concept even better by building other rooms surrounding the room which surrounds the fireplace. If this concept isn't a kick-off than I don't know what could be... *broadgrin*

    But without any more jokes... it's exciting that you've joined this group. And I already like this windowseat... and the idea of using your old vest for a cushion.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed.... And yes you are totally right too! I should start with the garden surrounding the house, surrounding the rooms surounding the room that surrounds the fireplace! Why did I not think of that earlier? :-)

      Thank you for the compliment on the wall and windowseat. I hope to show you the result of my adventures with sewing needles soon!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. Huibrecht, ik vind het zo leuk dat je mee doet aan het project. Een project om met name jezelf te motiveren om verder te bouwen, en tegelijkertijd om met elkaar te kijken hoe je geinsprireerd kan worden. En met dit laatste zit het wel goed, je maakt er een mooi bouwwerk van! We blijven je supporten vanuit de groep!
    Groetjes, Thea
    http://thea65.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Thea,

      Welkom op mijn blog! Ik heb erg veel zin om komend jaar met de groet aan onze kasteelkamers te werken. We gaan er wat moois van maken.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. Dear Huibrecht, I am glad to see you are embarking on yet another room! This is what happens to me often... only I tend to start another House altogether! LOL! Since I am running out of space in my house... I am trying very diligently to focus on working on the houses (or castles )that I have already started! Your lady's dressing room is looking very grand with the window seat and the wood trim and dado rails! I look forward to seeing the cushion fabric... and the colors you will use on the walls and woodwork! This is always fun when a project is just beginning. Stay well and keep making minis! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I am only saved by the fact that I have only one plan for one big house. although... I have been drawing a few garden buildings for the park that would lay around the house....

      Luckily I can't buy new materials for those, just like Ilona because of the lockdown. :-)

      In the next posts about this room I will reveal some more about the planned colours and decor for this room. I think that you will like them.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  6. Hoi Linda,

    Met stof werken is voor mij nog een hele grote uitdaging maar ik heb er zin in. Duim voor de goede afloop, alstublieft!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Huibrecht,

    I am just catching up on your posts that I seem to have missed out on, such good work. And I think it is a great idea to do miniatures in a group, it keeps the motivation levels up! I am especially curious to see the window seat cushion ;)
    Jonquil

    ReplyDelete