Friday 26 February 2021

Birthday treasures

Hello my friends,

I celebrated my birthday this month. And when I look back at the year that has passed, it has been a year like no other in so many ways. I hope and believe that a lot has changed for the better when I celebrate my next birthday. 

And because of that there has been no party with friends and relatives. Just some cards, mails and phonecalls. I cherish all of them but it is not really the same as getting together. However, it is for a good reason. The sooner we have ended the pandemic together, the sooner life can return to normal. That will be the biggest and best gift for me and all of us! 

For a few years now my wishlist is narrowed down to certain miniatures or a contribution towards buying them. Throwing the 'loot' for Sinterklaas, Christmas and my birthday together has resulted in quite a big haul! It does not compare to spending time together with loved ones, but I am very happy with the gifts I received or could buy with the sum received. 

First I received an octogonal burr wallnut teacaddy made by Malcom Hall. I love his work but up to now I had none of his miniatures. This single compartment teacaddy is one of my favorite models that he makes. 


The amount of detail is stunning. When you open the outer lid you can see an inner lid made of of mahogany. And when you lift that, the container for tea is 'tinned' like the originals were and sometimes stil are. 

I also got a white metal bust Louis XIV by Andrea miniatures. This company makes models for military miniatures. They do not cater to the 1:12 market. 

They do however sell a miniature version of the famous Bernini bust of Louis XIV, the Sun King. And with almost 7cm height it would stand around 84 cm in 1:1. That is large but still realistic for a bust. 
I look forward to painting this one to resemble terracotta like I did with Marie Antoinette a little while ago. 

Boule arch top mantle clock by Keith Bougourd of Small Time miniatures. My first miniature of his hand as well. I love his clocks and I want to save up for some more in the coming years. A house simply needs more than one clock! 


This clock replicates the Boule work with inlay of brass and (faux) red tortoise shell. The style of this model is Louis XVI. This mantle clock will get a place on the mantleshelf in the diningroom. 

Next are the pair of two Gustavian/Louis XV console tables by David Iriarte.

I am so very happy with these. I cannot begin to tell you how I am in awe of his talent. These are metal casts of the master piece he has made and he has painted them in these lovely light colours. I love the marbling of the table tops as well. So finely done, that I will try to replicate this on another miniature. 


He also makes unique pieces. Those are spectacular, but far out of my reach. Oh well, I am over the moon with these two console tables. And to my surprise there was more in the little White box...

As a present, David included these two candelabra as a gift. I completely missed them when I first unpacked the tables, so I only found them a week later when I took out the rest of the packing paper to rewrap the tables. These baroque candlesticks are lovely and I will have no trouble finding a suitable place for them in Huis ter Swinnendael. I have thanked David for this lovely but unexpected gift. 

And if that was not enough, a silver fruit basket by Marie-Louise from Small Scale Miniatures. The picture above is of her website. We agreed that she would keep the item until she has made a little commision that she accepted from me. But I will keep that item secret until she has finished it and has sent it to me. And until then I will have to wait on this basket too. ;-) 

And as if with all those wonderful miniatures I have not been spoiled enough already, I also received this set for gilding miniatures with leaf metal from my loved one. I am very happy with this present. I am wanting to try my hand at gilding for a few years now. But I held back for fear of it being perhaps too difficult to do. So receiving this starterset is a great reason to finally start experimenting. No more excuses! 

Huibrecht 

17 comments:

  1. Oh Huibrecht! You truly were spoiled with incredibly special pieces, but it is so appropriate as you are incredibly special, too! I am so happy that you had as lovely a birthday as was possible in our Covid time, but I know as soon as it is safe you and your loved ones will make up for lost time!
    Huis ter Swinnendael is going to be a magnificent house, made all the more special by the careful planning, collecting and love put into each and every detail! It is truly worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, yes I have been spoiled and am very grateful for each land every gift. And I can not wait until I can embrace my parents again.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. je découvre votre blog en même temps que vos cadeaux . vous avez été très gâté pour votre anniversaire . tous vos cadeaux sont magnifiques . j 'ai une préférence pour le travail de David . il a énormément de talent . j 'ai hâte de découvrir où vont aller tous ces objets .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci et bien venue Catherine! En ce moment, je construis deux chambres différentes du petit château. Ceux-ci abriteront certains éléments. Le reste reste à construire. Grâce à votre réponse, j'ai également (re) découvert votre blog. Un travail merveilleux, je peux apprendre une grande partie de votre travail. Surtout sur votre l'utilisation des couleurs.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. WOOW jij bent eens even heerlijk verwend, Huibrecht, wat een geweldig mooie miniaturen heb je gekregen, het een nog mooier als het andere, geniet er maar fijn van!!
    Ja, vooral in deze tijd is jarig zijn niet erg leuk, maar als je zó ontzettend wordt verwend maakt dat veel goed, toch ;)?!
    Wat een geweldig mooie verrassing van David om die kandelaars bij jouw mooie wandconsoles te doen. (Voor als Birgit dit leest: je lijkt mij wel, niet goed in de verpakking/doos gekeken en daar veel later achter te komen dat er nog iets heel geweldigs in zit, foei ;O)!!)
    Ik ben benieuwd hoe het zal gaan met die set voor het vergulden van miniaturen, we zullen het hier wel gaan zien, hè?!
    Blijf veilig, zorg goed voor elkaar.
    Groetjes, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazeker. En met een beetje geluk heb ik het nog verdiend ook. ;-) ga ik was even ondersteboven van die kandelaars. En vooral dat ik ze bijna gemist had. Het is kennelijk een Nederlands trekje? :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. Felicidades por tu cumpleaños y por todos esos preciosos tesoros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. muchas gracias por las felicitaciones. ¡Estoy realmente muy feliz con todos los pequeños tesoros que obtuve!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. Dear Huibrecht, Happy Birthday! (I will celebrate mine shortly, but not with such beautiful treasures!) You have certainly chosen and been given some exquisite pieces! The tea caddy is perfection! So is the clock! And the consoles.... and... and all of them! You have really added to the treasures for Huis ter Swinnendael!!! I look forward to seeing some of them positioned with care in their future settings! And I am right behind you in wanting to learn to gild.... maybe I just need a starter kit too! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes call it blessed or spoiled. I did not expect this much at all. But I am gratefull because all these wil get pride of place in the rooms they will end up in.

      And as for gilding, I plan to practice soon and post a detailed account of it on my blog. (unless I mess everything up.) :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday Huibrecht! What lovely presents you received, just perfect. I have a similar tea caddy from Malcolm, and his work is just stunning. And I love the clock by Keith: clocks are very useful to have in a miniature house, as when I am working on a room, I can see what time it is (or how much time I've spent mini-ing) without having to get up! The boule clock is a really lovely choice. Gilding is the bees knees - once you start it is difficut to stop turning into Midas and gilding EVERYTHING IN SIGHT! Just make sure you leave the necessary time for the size (glue) to cure before applying the gold leaf... I have been too impatient many times in the past, and it can get a little messy. I hope you have many constructive hours with your new miniatures, and I can't wait to see them in place! Jonquil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonquil, I never realised before that the advantage of a miniature clock would be that timecan not escape me anymore while working on the miniature house. :-) and yes, I too often loose track of tikme when working on miniatures.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  7. Happy belated birthday wishes - all the best for you for the coming life year. And as it started with the most gorgeous gifts it must become a wonderful one... despite you-know-what. But I really had to laugh about your unexpected find in the wrapping paper - this reminded me so much of a certain Dutch friend! *LOL* But what a relief that you found these beautiful, generous extras at all - my, this would have been a pity if these treasures would have been lost. And speaking of treasures... wow, wow, wow, you've been spoiled rotten with all these stunning pieces of miniature art. It's incredible how much talent and artistry is out there. And it must be lovely to have some pieces which are outstanding in itself but also because they were gifts from your loved ones.

    My fingers are crossed for a big success when working with your gilding sheets. Just in case you didn't know it so far: Close the windows and try not to breathe! *broad-grin* Have fun!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Birgit. And as I said to a certain Dutch person, it seems a common Dutch trait to overlook items in parcels. And if it is a natural condition, it is something we can do nothing about. ;-) accept hoping we will grow over it Naturally. :-)

      And yes I have been warned about breathing. Preferably one should not breath at all and work in an airtight room. So Ilook forward to the gilding adventure with bated breath!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Huibrecht! I agree, nothing can quite compare to spending time with friends and loved ones. Even so, your gifts are all exquisite - I cannot believe you overlooked those beautiful candelabras at first.
    Take care,
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna, yes it would have been a shame if I had not found them. Luckily I never planned to throw away the little white box they were in because I planned to keep the console tables in it until I can put them in my house. So they would have been found sponer or later and not thrown out unseen.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  9. Hallo Linda, dankjewel! Het vergulden ga ik zeker proberen! Ik heb al een paar dingetjes op het oog om het vergulden op te proberen. En vandaar uit zal ik grotere en lastigere voorwerpen proberen te vergulden zoals opengewerkte schilderij lijstjes. Maar ik houd jullie allen op de hoogte van de successen en de mislukkingen. ;-)

    Hopelijk ben wij dit jaar dit het vaccineren weer gretig naar een normaal leven gaan. Dat is mijn dierbaarste wens voor dit jaar. En niet alleen voor ons hoekje in de wereld maar ook voor al die landen waar ze het minder goed voor elkaar hebben en nog net in de misère zullen zitten dan wij.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete