Friday 7 May 2021

To get ahead on heads. An old saint a ram and a horse....and an easter egg...


Hello My friends, 

No this is not meant as a scene á la the Godfather where one wakes up with a marble horsehead in ones bed. Nor is it about the remains of a butchered nativity scene. Nothing of the sort, my friends. 

Last year I bought two silver candlesticks with fishes made by Stephan Wein. (I did not by the shell tazza between them) 
He exhibits at the Kensington/Londen dollhouse festival and has a shop on Etsy. He is a goldsmith by trade who also makes miniatures. His miniatures are not run of the mill items and quite gorgeous. The prettiest of those are things you have to save up for, unfortunately, but they are worth it. And this year I allowed myself to buy one more of them. 

As you may know a private catholic chapel will be added to Huis ter Swinnendael. Every chapel needs some silverware for the altar et cetera? One or two reliquary's and saint's statues would also not go amiss. But that is easier said than done. 

I had my eye on this old carved and painted ivory head of a bearded man on a base of silver and ebony. It was described as a saint's head and looks the part. However In my eye it missed something. I asked Stephan if it was possible to add a kind of halo to it. He agreed and made sketches of two different kinds of halo's. We agreed one of them and Stephan added the halo to the statue.

The result is stunning in my opinion. I first wanted a golden halo but Stephan advised me to choose silver because that would fit better with the existing statue. And seeing the result I can say that in my opinion he is absolutely right. I love the result! But which saint does it represent? Noone knows. So I am free to choose some obscure local saint.

The Ram's head and the Roman horse's head are made by Karl Blindheim. He lives in Canada and makes beautiful miniature sculptures. Mostly of animals but also plants and human forms. 

I saw these pieces on facebook and asked if these two heads were (still) for sale. They were and the price was luckily just within budget. Apart from being two stunning pieces, the charm for me lies in the fact that these are heads of animals. Several busts of humans, made of clay, metal, plaster and resin are for sale. But animal heads are quite rare. And now I've got two of them for the small but growing collection of antiquities of sir Zonneschut. 
The last item has nothing to do with heads, but I will show it anyway.  It is a mini Fabergé egg made by Sun from Nalladris. The photo above shows the original Rose trellis egg, made by Fabergé and given by tsar Nicolas II to his wife for easter in 1907.

Wait, what? A 1907 egg in a 1805 setting? Yes you are right. You are absolutely right. It is an anachronism and does not fit in the period of Huis ter Swinnendael...

However that may be, I love these eggs. Sun has a few eggs made in miniature, and I intend to collect all the ones that I love. One per year, for easter. And although I strive to make the house and collection both fit into the style and period chosen, it is not intended as a period museum and one or two anachronisms should not spoil the overall effect. 😁 And it helps that a lot of Fabergé eggs were inspired by older styles and periods. So it fits somewhat, kinda, a bit, enough... 

Unfortunately, due to a delay in the postal service the egg did not arrive until after easter. But I am not less happy to add it to my collection.

I hope that you will like my new treasures too. 

Huibrecht 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Huibrecht! You have added some Treasures to your trove!!! The Faberge egg is amazing! And I understand the dilemma of trying to be accurate to a historical time... and then finding things you simply cannot go without! The Saint's head is another wonderful and rare find! The Chapel will be an amazing place if this is anything to go by! Adding more heads to your sculpture collection is not unusual for an Eighteenth Century setting, and you have been lucky to find such great examples! Europeans had been discovering all the ancient ruins of Greece and Rome and Egypt and bringing pieces back for display.... I think your collection will be fascinating! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, thank you. Indeed, it is my intention that the housecwill have a collection of art and antiquities. Collected by Carel Polyander and some of his ancestors during Grand Tours.

      Huubrecht

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, die nieuwe aankopen van Stephan zijn zéker erg mooi, hij is echt 'n excellente kunstenaar! Hij heeft jou goed geadviseerd in jouw keuze tussen goud of zilver voor de halo: zijn keuze voor zilver was prima!
    Het werk (en de kunstenaar) Karl Blindheim is nieuw voor mij, en deze twee beelden passen perfect in de collectie voor ter Swinnendael.
    Tja, die Fabergé eieren zijn en blijven juweeltjes. Je hebt groot gelijk dat je soms moet kiezen voor wat je mooi vindt, zonder steeds rekening te moeten houden met de tijdsperiode, waarin jouw minihuis "bestond". Die Fabergé juwelen/eieren zijn prachtig in elk opzicht, ook Sun heeft voor jou geweldig werk geleverd, want ook haar Fabergé ei in mini is een schoonheid. Geniet van jouw nieuwe aanwinsten!
    Heel fijn weekeinde toegewenst!
    Groetjes, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi Ilona, genieten zal ik zeker van deze juweeltjes. Maar na het fotograferen zijn ze meteen ingepakt voor de verhuizing, dus ook ik moet het voorlopig met de foto's doen.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. I just love all your treasures!! I tried to find Stephan Wein on Etsy but had no luck. What is the name of his shop? The silverware is exquisite and most likely out of my price range, but it never hurts looking, right?
    I adore your idea of the adding annual Fabergé Easter eggs to the collection. In my opinion the 'date thing' is just a minor detail - they will look just perfectly in place, I am sure of it.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anna, You can find his shop through this link. https://www.etsy.com/nl/shop/StephanWein

      Looking never hurts indeed. And I agree a Fabergé egg a year could not spoil the result the project for my dollshouse. Every rule needs an ecception, this will be mine.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. You have such a keen eye for finding the most exceptional pieces from the most talented mini artisans, Huibrecht! Huis ter Swinnendael is going to be such an amazing house so full of carefully curated treasures! The candlesticks really are so lovely, and the busts are immaculately made! But the egg is truly astounding, and worth every justification to go outside the time period intended. After all, our homes are not simply a snapshot in time. We continue to collect and add the things that make us meet life with wonderment. I am all for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi, with your kind words I feel completely reassured. And yes my house will not be period perfect but a collection of items from different era's.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. ¡Vaya pequeños tesoros que has adquirido!
    Me encanta el huevo de Fabergé

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in awe with your newest additions / purchases - there's so much talent out there and you have a wonderful taste and a good hand at picking awesome stuff. ;O) The silver work is amazing and the halo is perfect. And I really like the Fabergé egg, Sun's work is amazing and especially her Fabergé eggs are fascinating. It's a great thing to treat yourself with one of them for Easter - and in this special case it should be okay to mix up the times a bit. As long as it's a small decorative piece like this jewel egg and not a Billy shelf you shouldn't worry about being anachronic. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    P.S.: Just a word about animal busts... I don't know about the size of yours and if you still need more. But perhaps you could make some by yourself using plastic animals from Schleich, Bullyland, Safari or Papo? Believe me, they're easy to paint and to cut. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Birgit and I agree. Mixing some items of a later date should not be a problem. And I promiss to stay away from miniature Ikea. 😁

      And thank you for the Plastic animal tip! I will look into that. I am still looking for small turtle/tortoise shields.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  7. Unas piezas fantásticas, feliz semana

    ReplyDelete