Saturday 22 May 2021

Build in progress: Lady Zonneschut's dressingroom, the panneled walls

Hello My friends,

In january 2021 I first posted on the building of Lady Zonneschut's dressingroom. It will be a small room. In Dutch these are called "kabinet" or "kabinetje" and were private rooms used for all sorts of purposes. Dressing rooms, study's, boudoirs et-cetera.

This picture shows my original plan for the room. A bit bland to be honest. Lady Zonneschut's dressingroom/boudoir deserves a bit more grandeur. 

so I changed it for green painted panneled walls with the large panels filled with painted landscapes with birds and other animals. 

We in the Netherlands experience now the first step out of lockdown with reopened shops. But I started this room during full lockdown where all but essential shops were closed. 

The dressingroom is my lockdown project so to speak. And when I started it was very difficult to get materials. So I had to make do with all the material I had in my stash. That was not a lot. I was/am espescially short on trims and mouldings. 

And that is a setback if you want a room covered in luxurious panneling. But then I thought of a back of bamboo skewers we have for making saté and other BBQ dishes. Summer is still a few months away, so why not use those?  I have two types. One type with a 3 mm diameter, and one thinner type with a 2 mm diameter. Using them together could work. 

After adding all the pieces there were some gaps to fill. After filling those and sanding what needed sanding the walls were ready for painting. All the panneling received a first coat of green. I had three soft green chalk paints to choose from. I chose Sage Green. The frieze near the ceiling was painted white to match the ceiling which will be made later. 

The large panels are left largely white. These will be filled in with prints of the painted wall hangings. After the wall with the window I painted the other three walls as well. And now the appearance of this kabinet turned from this... 
Into this...  The big white open corner on the right is where the corner fireplace will go. But that is a subject for a next post. 

Till then. Stay healthy and safe. 

Huibrecht 


16 comments:

  1. I had missed your January post, Huibrecht so before reading this one, I had to jump back so that I can follow the progress of Lady Zonneschuts's kabinet properly.
    How clever to use two sizes of skewers for 'moulding'! - I would never have thought to do that, but it is super effective once painted. The paneled sage green walls are wonderful - this is going to be a very luscious and calm room for the Lady to retreat to when she needs a bit of peace and quiet.
    Stay well and keep making your wonderful minis.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then I realised I never responded to the reactions on this post. Shame on me!

      Thank you for the compliment. But I got the idea in part from your rooftiles from molding. :-) So we inspire each other to look differently at things around us.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. Wauw, deze kamer van Lady Zonneschuts ziet er nu al erg mooi uit, Huibrecht, ze zal jou er dankbaar voor zijn! Jaaa, we worden inventief in het verzamelen en het gebruiken van allerlei soorten materialen, vooral als je in een lockdown zit. Maar dat is goed voor onze grijze celletjes, hè, die werken dan op top speed ;O). Die spiesjes waren een goede oplossing, maar ook meer werk.
    Ik ben benieuwd hoe de hoekhaard eruit zal komen te zien. Je hebt klassewerk verricht!
    Blijf gezond, zorg voor elkaar en jezelf.
    Groetjes, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Klopt helemaal. Voor mij helpt het enorm om de verhalen van ervaren miniaturisten te lezen die dagelijkse voorwerpen verwerken tot de meest uiteenlopende miniaturen.

      De hoekhaard wordt nog een hele klus. Ik heb een stuk gereedschap nodig wat nog wel even zal duren voordat ik het heb. Maar ik heb er nu al zin in.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. Just one word: WOW! This is awesome work, such an elegant room... and I like this delicate green you've chosen, perfect for a lady. And everything looks as it should... so bless the skewers for standing so perfectly in. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seguramente te ha costado mucho más tiempo que con las molduras pero ha quedado igual de bonito. Buen trabajo. Se ve muy elegante.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí, me ha costado más tiempo que con las molduras, pero en realidad fue divertido hacerlo.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. Dear Huibrecht, I agree with the others... WOwee! The new color is much more feminine and the painted panels are truly Exotic! I LOVE the feeling of being in a wild landscape! It makes this room a little glimpse of Paradise! And to think you made it with bamboo skewers! Necessity is the Mother of Invention the saying says... but it is also the open doorway for Imagination! And you have used it fully! Beautiful work! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these nice comments. I am glad that you like it. It gives me great joy that the simple skewers give such a nice result when painted. I think that I will use them in one or two other rooms too.

      Huibrecht

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  6. I am so late dear Huibrecht that I will keep this short... This room only needs two words, anyway... WOW!!! And Amazing!!! Love, love, love the work you are doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Huibrecht, Well done! We wouldn't have noticed humble bamboo skewers if you haven't told us of their use. I love the Sage green panels and idea of wall hangings in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Riita, the skewers are effectively hidden by only one coat of paint. I am glad that you like the room, but this is only the first stage. more is to follow, but that will be after summer I'm afraid. first we will have to move to our new house.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  8. Que gran trabajo! tiene un aspecto genial!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete