Tuesday 21 September 2021

Cunera Olshoorn; Remember this little girl?


Hello my friends,

In april 2021 I showed you the first stages of the portrait of Cunera Olshoorn that hangs in the (temprarily closed) Rotterdam Museum. Apart from being a beautiful painting (in my opninion.) it also happens to have a family connection to my partner. 
The painting of the miniature portrait had progressed in april to the stage in the picture below.


The original portrait was painted in 1683. At that time Cunera was only 2 years old. So the face is probably the only real thing from the girl in this composition. Posing for a painting is nigh impossible for a two year old. 

Portraying children with older bodies and/or unnatural (for their age) poses was not uncommon in that time. Symbolism was sometimes more important than realism. This picture, like many paintings and portraits of that era have multiple layers of meaning. 

Many items depicted in the painting are not just part of the pretty scenery. They have hidden meanings. The fact that she's seen descending a set of steps, holding flowering rose, having a dog accompanying her around her feet, and the blooming or wilted roses strewn around all have a symbolic meaning. 

These point to youth, fidelity, growing up, the fragility of health/life and the uncertainties of the future. A bit sombre when you think about it. Perhaps she was a sickly child or her parents lost some children/newborns before Cunera was born? Who knows. 

It seems as though the portrait is intended as  a celebration of a beautiful child, but at the same time a warning that good things should not be taken for granted. But thankfully she did not die in childhood like many did in thise days. We do know that Cunera made it into adulthood, got married and started her own family. 

And even in this childrens portrait the parents want to show that they were cultured and educated people. Although you may not recognise it, the statue on the right side of Cunera is modelled after the so called Flora Farnese. The goddes Flora in the famous Farnese marbles. One of the first grand renaissance collections of classical statuary.  Statues very well known in the 17th and 18th centuries. The original stands in Rome. The copy in this photo stands in the Parc de Tuilleries in Paris. 

But back to the miniature painting by Diane. In the pictures above you can see how the multiple (thin) layers of paint and colour have transformed the picture.

It is almost finished, but not entirely. After Diane has finished the painting, she will also make a frame for the painting. It will be based on the frame surrounding the original portrait.

Well that's it for now. Be safe. 

Huibrecht 


15 comments:

  1. What an incredible miniature painting! The detail is fantastic, and looks just like the original. You are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marijke. Yes, it will be an incredible paintimg indeed. I really feel very lucky that Diane had time to take this commission.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. Thank you for another fascinating and insightful look at the past, Huibrecht! It really is a remarkable painting, and yet another precious and meaningful art piece for this special project! It is a treat to see each piece you have made and curated throughout the process of it's becoming, and one day, it will be a treasure and a feast for the eyes when the dream is realized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi. I hope that eventualy it will become just that when I have realised my dream. But a whole lot of work must be done before then. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. It is indeed a gorgeous painting and having a family connection makes it even more special. I can understand why you are looking to have an original in Huis ter Swinnendael.
    I am absolutely hopeless with a paintbrush and seeing the intricate steps of how the painting is being so carefully recreated in miniature is a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna,

      My partner's family can trace there ancestors back to the 16th century. Her grandfather is a common ancestor of my partner.

      And I would love to add a portrait of one of my ancestors to Huis ter Swinnendael but the few known painted portraits we have are from the 19th century or younger. So alas not apropriate.

      I can paint a little but no where near the intricate brushwork of a real miniature painter.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. Hi Huibrecht, it is a delightful portrait, and captures the ever-moving toddler really well! It is always nice to know that the children in the portaits did grow up, because in those days life was particularly cruel, and infant mortality very high.

    Thank you for inluding the photos of the progress, it is very interesting to see the many different layers, especially the shading. I can't wait to see where it will hang!

    Jonquil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonquil. Yes mortality rates of chilfren ver very high in those days. Espescially in the first years of life there is less difference between the rich and the poor than you would expect.

      Diane was so kind to let me show you these different stages on my blog. I would not have done so without her consent. Although I now how building a painting up by layers works, I am surprised be the result of each stage. 2 stages ago I thought she had finished. Cunera already looked so good to me. Since then it got even better!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. How could we ever forget sweet little Cunera? *smile* Okay, I admit it... I forgot her name (having the excuse that it is not so familiar to my ears that my brain would find it easy to make a memory out of it... my, the burden of age... *grin*) - but I did not forget this exciting commission this extremely talented artist is doing for you.

    I really enjoyed to see this stunning painting develop in its different layers or steps. Especially when comparing the 5th and the last picture the difference shows so well. The earlier stage is already gorgeous, so detailed and well shaded. But with the next step in the last picture everything gets highlighted, gains more depth and seems almost to change from flat and pain into 3-dimensional. This is such a wonderful project and I can't wait to see the end result - and the frame.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who can blame you forgetting her name? I don't think I ever heard of it before I was shown this painting 12 years ago. There is a story attached to that name, I will tell that in the post to show the final result of Diane's wonderful work.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  6. Aaaahhhrrrggghhhh... now I really feel PAIN when I see this typo!!! "PLAIN"... my, the difference one "l" makes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No please Birgit, don't feel pain! There is no need. We all make typo's like that. It is clear that you did not mean pain but plain. 😁

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  7. Dear Huibrecht, How could I possibly forget Cunera, the lovely little child who poked you in the eye? ! :):) I remember her well, and am always fascinated to see the progress pictures for a work of art, especially paintings! This one promises to be a Treasure indeed! I am also fascinated to hear some of the symbolism... I did not know about that statue in the background!
    And I am almost certain that when Birgit mentioned "pain" in her comment, it was really about poking you in the eye even though she says otherwise. (Apologies to Birgit for my bad joke!) I also am looking forward to seeing it finished and with a frame too! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Betsy, I am happy tbat you like the explanation about symbolism in portraits. The curator of tbe museum was very helpful to point these things out. And yes, getting poked in the eye is no picknick! :-)

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete