Saturday 8 January 2022

Taking stock & Kintsugi

Hello my friends, 

After a few postponents of the date for moving we finally moved into our new house mid oktober 2021! Finaly we could start unpacking the boxes and start settling in! Most boxes were already packed in june 2021! Because the original date picked for the move was the end of juli of that year... Which means I have not seen most of my miniatures and craft supplies for almost six months!

A new house means a new craft room. And my third craft room in 5 years is the first one with a view! The room faces north so no direct sunlight will enter the room which is perfect for light sensitive miniatures like some paints and fabrics.

This is a great moment to take stock of my growing collection of miniatures and craft supplies. It is also a good moment to check if everything is in good order and if the move has not caused any breakages or other damages. 

I already had a list of (almost) everything I bought. With a short description of the miniature, its price and the maker or seller. But which plate with a bird on it is the blue and white plate with bird? And which is the blue and white plate with chinese decor with bird/ and one with a large bird...
I know which ones are meant... but can I still keep them apart in 5 or 10 years from now? And is this list of any use if I am the only one who understand which description fits which miniature? A proper inventory should be clear to everyone who goes through it. 


So to come up with a better version I am using photographs to aid the texts. Select a few miniatures, for example made by the same miniaturists. Take a picture of the group (front and back). Making sure that makers marks, when they are present, are visibly photgraphed etc. Number each item in the picture, and write all necessary details per number on the same or the coresponding page(s). And then go on to the next group. And so forth, and so forth...


While taking stock, I have indeed discovered some miniatures that I had forgotten entirely and that I have not shared with you here. How can I have forgotten having these miniatures? I bought them only a few years ago. Not 10 or 20 years... Oh well, I have catalogued these "re-found" miniatures now, so forgetting their existance should not happen again. And I will share them with you soon. 

So far I have not found any breakage or damage due to the move except for one of the legs of my Escutcheon desk that was originally owned by Elly de Kraker. I have repaired it now and the breakline is virtually invisible. Not due to the move but due to my own clumsiness, I dropped and broke one of the seven Kakiemon plates that I made in a workshop by Cocky Wildschut. :-(

Although it is not a consolation for breaking it, I have decided to try to glue it together while adding gold leaf to the breaklines of the reglued plate. This way I try to make it look like it is repaired in the way of Kintsugi.

Kintsugi is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery by mending the areas of breakage with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold. As a philosophy, it treats breakage and repair as part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise. 

Since the broken plate is meant to be a Japanese one, due to the Kakiemon decor, I find repairing it á la Kintsugi quite fitting. Kintsugi was developed in the 15th century. Although I do not believe that Kintsugi was known/or appreciated in 18th century Europe. 

Here you can see the result of my attempt.  the goldleaf is applied but not yet cleanedlike in the picture below. I do believe that the fine golden lines between the shards are quite lovely. I no longer want to put the plate in a dark corner of a room where noone would take notice of it. 
So in a way my imitation of kintsugi in miniature has helped me to come to terms with the fact that I have broken that plate in the first place. A miniature heal so to speak. :-)

Well, that is it for now my friends. Stay safe and happy. I am only halfway through cataloging my miniatures, so I will just go on with that.

Huibrecht 

15 comments:

  1. Fantásticos platos. Has hecho un buen arreglo en el plato roto. !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Una técnica fantástica de recuperar piezas rotas y su significado en estos tiempos que todo es tirar, conservar de esa forma la pieza nos recuerda su de valor ; en cierra sentimiento . Seguro que con tu nuevo taller comenzarás tus trabajos con unas vistas geniales de agua y verde. Feliz semana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Realmente es algo divertido de hacer. Y reparar algo que está roto de esta manera lo convierte en una pieza especial. Aunque la pintura dorada también funcionaría bien, creo.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. Tienes una excelente vista desde la ventana.
    Me parece muy imaginativa la recuperación del plato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias. Estoy muy contento con la vista desde la ventana.
      Y por la reparación agradezco a los japoneses y su invención de Kintsugi.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. Dear Huibrecht, I think the repair of the plate is stunningly beautiful done that way! What a brilliant idea, and great execution! The plate is even more worthy of notice to see the care it has been given! Beautiful work!
    As for your careful inventory...Bravo! I think I would go nuts just trying to find all my tiny items, (some from my childhood!) let alone document them! You are clearly a "historian" as well as a creative craft-person! I am glad your Treasures mostly survived the move intact. And the view from your work room is amazing! I always look forward to seeing what you will make next! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy. That the plate is more worth of notice is also an important goal of Kintsugi. Because Kintsugi finds its origins when the Shogun (in the 15th century) finds that upon arrival a precious piece of Chinese Porcelain is broken. According tot the story he sends it back to have it repaired. Upon return in Japan the Shogun is aghast, the shards have been tied together with metal staples. It is said that he then ordered that a more satisfying and aesthetic way of repairing porcelain had to be developed. And thus Kintsugi was born. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on completing the move, Huibrecht! The view from your workshop is inspirational! I hope you will share more photos of the new house and workshop once you are settled in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi, I will do that. But for now the craft room is one of the few rooms that really is not yet finished. So not so photogenic at the moment. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  6. Dear Mr H it has been such a long time, I hope that you are well and I wish you a happy New Year slightly late ! Congratulations on you new home, what a view ! I am so looking forward to doing like you and going through all my boxes but for the moment things in the real house are taking a lot longer than expected. I went back to Scotland in the autumn for a month between 'isolation' and being with mum then took weeks to get back via first Amsterdam then Lisbon and of course during my stay in Edinburgh ( before Amsterdam) I fell really ill with my old illness and it took a lot out of me. I got home on my birthday at midnight, totally exhausted only to fall ill twice more since then. I spent xmas alone but NY with a good friend. I am making over the dated dark kitchen at the moment and THEN I can finish the attic room which will become my miniature room, it is insulated and first coat of paint, needs total paint and even the old wood floor that is past it's best then a large square of vinyl so that little things don't fall into cracks !! Will take photos, I miss my minis, I miss my blog, I don't even go on Instagram for now. Take care and lots of hugs Mrs M xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mrs M it has been a lomg time and I am very sorry to read that it has been a difficult period for you.

      Despite setbacks I read that the house is coming along. I hope you soon can start work on the attic that will be your miniature room. And despite the renovation taking longer than hoped and expected you will eventualy have a great house to live in, and I am sure that is will be worth all the time and effort that it needs.

      You take care and a lot of hugs back to you!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  7. Dank je wel, Linda. Het uitzicht zal mij hopelijk wel inspireren als het nodig is. Het catalogiseren is inderdaad een hele klus, maar ik kan het aanraden. Het geeft echt inzicht in alles wat je hebt liggen en (soms) zelfs vergeten was.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are soooooo organized! At first I was a bit undecided whether I should turn green with jealousy or blush deeply red regarding my own chaotic work place but then I came up with the conclusion that I should just admire you for being so well organized. Your miniature inventory is a very clever idea and I like your craftroom with a view very much. So sad your plate broke - but the way you've saved it is awesome.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  9. You don't need to turn green with jealousy, Birgit. The table looks more organised than it often will be. Just because I have not yet had time to work a lot of mini's. You should regards the picture solely as a 'before' picture. :-)

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete