Tuesday 19 July 2022

To stitch, or not to stitch...


Hello my friends,

Before reading this post... A warning is warranted. None of the thousands of stitches you see in these pictures were made by me...

You may recognise it as one of the Janet Granger kits. It is a rug based on a William Morris design. Morris being one of great designers of the Arts & Crafts movement, places this design in the late Victorian period. Not quite the 18th century.


So strictly speaking it has no place in Huis ter Swinnendael for in 1806 it would be an anachronism. Something made in the future. But I love the design and colours of this rug very much, so it wil get a good place in one of the rooms.


But who made it, and why? A good friend of a dear friend loves to embroider and was looking for a new project to stitch. When I was asked if she could perhaps help me with a project I did not have to think long and hard. I bought this kit to make myself but was reluctant to start. She has enjoyed making it and I have super miniature carpet! So over the last few months I was regularly updated on the progress made on this pretty rug.

Payment was not allowed, so treating both friends on a lunch was the least I could do. The party at the table next to us probably wondered why I was so happy with a blue and green mouse mat that was clearly on the small side! What can I say? It was a lovely lunch.


So although I did not stitch this carpet myself,  I am naturaly very happy with it. The work has been skillfuly and neatly done. The result is stunning! I am very greatful for this tremendously kind gesture.

But do not give up all hope. I do plan to embroider myself too. As a matter of fact I have stitched the first stitches already! Hopefully the result will come somewhere near this beautiful miniature embroidery.

Huibrecht 



12 comments:

  1. This is indeed a lovely rug and your new friend, very talented! I bet she gave you lots of great tips for your own new stitching endeavor! I am excited to see the pattern! I believe you told us at one point that the setting for Huis ter Swinnendae might be much later than the 18th century and include things added to the house throughout its history. I love that idea, because it frees you up to add any new beautiful object that makes your heart sing without restriction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, it indeed makes my heart sing. It is such a fine piece. The house will be set in the early 19th century, so stylewise the rug is too modern. But I chose to buy this kit knowing that. So it does not bother me. I just enjoy the result. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. La alfombra es preciosa, tanto en el diseño como el colorido. Tu amiga ha hecho un trabajo maravilloso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Isabel, yes indeed, it has turned out to be a marvelous piece. She has done an outstanding job!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. Love the William Morris rug! I've worked more than one of his designs, the colours always speak to me. Best of luck in getting "hooked" on mini petit-point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marijke, getting hooked will not be the problem, I'm sure. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  4. Dear Huibrecht, that is a beautiful kit! And your friend has done a wonderful job with the stitching! What a fine gift! And what a good way to encourage you to start stitching one yourself! I love the William Morris designs... and don't have any build that is in that style.... but as you do, I could mix the eras anyway! :):) I am all for historical accuracy if it matters to you... but so few people would ever think to question the rightness of the period. If it looks beautiful and gives you pleasure.. it is right! I look forward to seeing the carpet in its room! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment on her stitchwork. Coming from such an acomplished embroiderer this really means something. I will relay the compliment to her. Thank you!

      You are right that few people would notice the rug belonging to a more modern age than the roomwill be set in. It is just that I am a stickler for such details. :-) But still I have overcome this wen I chose to buy the kit. lol. And I could not agree more. If it has beaty and gives pleasure, what more can we want?

      Speaking of the room. I have started working on it again. It will be Lady Zonneschut's dressingroom, but some radical changes will be made to it (and indeed to the rest of Huis ter Swinnendael). I will tell you all about it in a post August.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. THAT'S what I call a good friend!!! *LOL* You are for sure a lucky guy, I hope you are aware of that... ;O) My, having a friend asking if you might have a task for her that needs doing thousands of tiny stitches is for sure pure luck. And who knows... perhaps she's bored again soon needing something more to stitch... *LOL*

    No, I'm just kidding... but the kindness and of course also talent of your friend is amazing. And I have no doubt you had a great time at the restaurant. As I already said - you are a lucky guy... even more as a little birdie tweeted to me that you had the chance to meet a very good friend of mine lately. ;O) Enjoy this beautiful carpet which is for sure extra special because a friend spent so much time to do you a favor. And making an exception from historical correctness shouldn't bother you at all in this case...

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good friend indeed! This is certainly not a small gesture of kindness. She has spent several days on stitching this carpet! Between you and me... (have not dáred mentioning it to her yet) I have a kit lying around for a large vintage House of Miniatures rug. A persian rug depicting a hunting scene and it is double the size of this one... So who knows. If she gets bored and wants a (húge) mini challenge... :-)

      I did meet a good friend of ours! It was wonderful to see each other in person again and catch up. And then you also know that I collected beautiful miniatures she has made on my request. I will show them here soon! :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  6. Zeer zeker een pracht van een vloerkleed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel, Gonda. Ik ben ook heel erg blij met dit grote cadeau van mijn vriendin. Ik ben nu bezig met de kamer waar het kleed in zou moeten komen. Daarover hoop ik binnenkort meer te laten zien. Helaas werk ik niet zo snel. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete