Friday 29 July 2022

An auction for a good cause

Hello my friends, 

A little while ago I stumbled on an auction promoted by Chiqui Cueto via Facebook. Several miniaturists donated miniatures for auction. The proceeds will benefit the ... de Asturias. It is a shelter for dogs. As you have read in my post on...... I have a hound (a Chart polski), named Tara as a pet, together with a Malinois Sheperd. But once I had two dogs, Pita & Lorca who were saved in spain by a shelter like this one and adopted. 

So you understand that the cause for this action directly apealed to me and I wanted to do my bit. That the lots that were to be auctoned comprise of miniatures only made it harder to say no (to myself). So I said yes. :-)

On the moment that the auction closed I had won 3 lots. The first is a lot of artisanal breads in different shapes and sizes. I love these. And they will look the part in different rooms of huis ter Swinnendael. most will go into the kitchen and the store room, but one or two may find their way into other rooms. 

The second lot were these two miniatures. A bergere and a side table you will recognise as Alison Davies pieces. The were decorated and upholstered. I love the finish with the subtle gold details. I will change the upholstery on the bergere because these two pieces are destined for the dressingroom. I want to use the mustard yellow cotton I have already used on the cushion for the windowseat. And which I will use for the curtains for this room. 

The third and last lot I had won was this beautiful gilded mirror made by David Iriarte. I love his work! I will have no trouble finding a place for this miniature.

I feel lucky having won these lots. And the money is well spent. Shelters like the... can use every amount to help rescue and relocate animals in need. I am very happy to have helped in a small way. I have learned since that this auction is repeated each year. I will be there next year!

I turned my attention to the table & chair. The pale green used on the two pieces is greish and cool. The green on the walls of the dressingroom is a warm yellowish kind of green. However I do like the combination of the two colours. What I do not like in this combination is the fabric with which the bergere is upholstered. So this had to go. 

Prying the upholsterd seat and bach of the chair frame away from the painted resin was a bit nerve wrecking. An excelent glue was used. But due to sticking a thin hobby knife patiently and carfully between the different pieces finaly seperated the two with only some minor damage to the paint. 

The seat upholstery is a bit too large in my opinion. I like it to have a little setback form the edge of the chair frame. The upholsery was fixed unto resin inserts. After I removed all remnants of glue and fabric I sanded them a little smaller, Just a half millimeter around. This way I did not have to cut a new template out of cardboard.  

The new fabric is the same mustardy yellow cotton I used on the cushion for the windowseat. You may recall that it is reclaimed from a waistcoat I have grown out of. I started with the back panel. First I glued  the piece on the back. Fixing it on the thin sides of the panel with fabric glue. Taking care that the glue is applied thinly so it will not bleed though the fabric. 

Next, I glues a piece of cotton on the front. Making sure it is a tight fit. Again glueing it on the sides of the card. When all was dry I glued it onto the backrest. 


The seat was done in a similar way. with the exception that the underside is not covered because it is hidden from view. When the glue had dried I glued it down on the seat of the chair. It is finished for now. I am still debating with myself if I should add a little trim around the edges. I think I will, but I am not sure yet. 

The problem with altering a miniature is that it leads to new ideas. Although I love the paint job on it, I will retouch the gold paint here and there to make some rubbed places and lines more crisp again. And, as if that is not enough,  I might add some upholstery to the armrests as well. What do you think?

Huibrecht

13 comments:

  1. A wonderful cause and a really lovely way to support it! You picked perfect items and I love what you did with the chair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, this auction is a great way to support such a good cause. I am glad that you like how the chair has turned out.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. Es una estupenda manera de apoyar a estas asociaciones que necesitan recursos.
    Un trabajo de retapizando muy arriesgado pero ha quedado bien.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muchas Gracias, Isabel. Estoy muy feliz!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Huibrecht! The auction sounds like a very worthy cause.... of course you had to participate! The lots you won are perfect for your house! I think you have made a very brave job altering the upholstery on the chair... and I think you would like how it looks with a small twist of braid for trim! :) The mirror is beautiful and so is the table. The bread has made me feel hungry... must be time for breakfast! LOL! I look forward to seeing more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, I am very glad that you aprove the reupholstering of the bergere. And you have encouraged me to indeed add a little trim around the edges. And I hope you had a delicious breakfast. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
    2. Hi Betsy, I am very glad that you aprove the reupholstering of the bergere. And you have encouraged me to indeed add a little trim around the edges. And I hope you had a delicious breakfast. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. Ik ben nog een antwoord schuldig over het keukentje en graniet, het blad heb ik geschilderd en verf erop gestipt met een naald. Maar je hebt 3 prachtige stukken gewonnen en de mooie stoel is zeker goed opgeknapt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi Gonda, dank je wel. Ik ben heel blij met de aankopen inderdaad. Dank je wel ook voor de techniek van het granieten aanrechtblad. Het resultaat is heel mooi geworden!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  6. That's what I call perfect - the miniatures you've been able to win in this auction are all perfect for your project. And the money spent is at the same time for a very good cause... total win-win-situation.

    However, you might have difficulties in deciding which room and purpose will be the right one for this stunning mirror *smile* but you are already prepared with a nice amount of yummy looking breads which are a must-have in such a big household. And the furniture is also perfect... at least that's what I thought at first sight of the originals. But your makeover made them even more perfect. But who knows... with a little trim and the arm upholstery (which is in my opinion worth a try - and you can do it!) they might look even more perfect. I'm curious to see the result... *tweet*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgit, a total win-win indeed. :-) Arm upholstery? I did not think of that but I see your point! Now I can not see this chair finished without upholstered armrests. ;-) I wil try to make them.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  7. Love the chair and table, and the mustard upholstery echoes the gold trim very nicely. A fine silky cord trim around the seat and back would be a lovely luxury touch. The breads are fabulous, and the mirror is definitely a luxury piece! Lucky you and lucky animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marijke, The silk sounds like a good suggestion. I will look in my stash to see if I have the right colour in slik or satin thread.

      Huibrecht

      Delete