Wednesday 2 May 2018

Miniature pestle and mortar, a little tutorial



Hello my friends, 

First I want to thank you all for your interest and response to my project. Last week, on the 27th of April we celebrate the birthday of our king, Willem Alexander. (Whom I think should call himself William IV but that is an entirely different matter. On the anual fleamarkets that (besides festivals etc.) are held in every large and small town, I found and bought three miniature 'bronze' mortars. Two small mortars which  (in 1:1) could be found in many kitchens in the 18th century, but certainly in the kitchen of Huis ter Swinnendael. The third one is a large mortar of a type which you would usualy find in an apothecary or sometimes in a castle's kitchen. You understand I could not walk passed them without snatching them up for a very fair price. I did not even haggle. they were dirt cheap.



They are cute in their own right but they do miss their pestles. Normally a bronze mortar (in the Netherlands) used to have a bronze pestle. However I have decided to turn them from wood. I have looked up several pictures of old pestles and made a few sketches.


On the right you see the sketches I made for different types of pestles. I have cllected some photo's of pestles and mortars for comparison. On the left I have drawn the large mortar to scale with the miniature and added two designs for a turned collumn which acts as a base for the mortar.

Not long ago I was in the museum 'Het Prinsenhof' in Delft. There they have a great example of an Apothacre's mortar on a turned stand. Both beautiful examples from the 17th century as you can see in the picture below.


Unfortunately I still do not have bought a lathe and have used an old drill for this. The base of the large mortar must be made from a piece of wood with a diameter of at least 3 cm. But that does not fit in my drill so that project has to wait until I buy the lathe. I am however very pleased with how the three pestles  that I have turned, turned out.

To make them I stuck a length of wooden dowel in the drillbit. I put one of my desing for pestles next to it and marked he dowel at every point where the design either gets thicker or thinner or just gets scored. By turning the drill at low speed the pencil mark goes round the dowel without having to move the pencil.

Then I used a small chissle to remove the wood where nescesary. Now I had the rough shape of the pestle. Lastly I used small woodfiles to add the texture and smooth everything off. And voila! three pestles to scale.


I am very pleased with the result. I will sand them with a very fine grade of sandpaper and colour them with a light woodstain. to give them a mre uesed look. Now I only have to build the kitchen to put them in. :-)

That is it for now. Thank you for your visit and till the next post!




22 comments:

  1. only beautiful purchases! and the work done for the pestles is beautiful .. an excellent result
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci bien Claude, je te souhaite une bonne soirée aussi.

      Delete
  2. Je hebt er een paar mooie stampers voor bij je 'nieuwe' mini vijzeltjes gemaakt, Huibrecht. Maar zo'n grote vijzel, als hierboven op de foto heb ik nog nooit gezien. Bedankt voor de tip over museum "Het Prinsenhof" te Delft, nog niet eerder van gehoord. Zijn er meer spullen uit de 17e eeuw te bewonderen?
    Ja, die grote voet zal inderdaad draaibank-werk worden, want dat red je niet meer met een boormachine ;).
    Groetjes, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Ilona, dank je wel. Het Prinsenhof is het voormalig verblijf van Willem van Oranje in Delft en de plaats waar hij in 1584 (in het trappenhuis)werd vermoord door Balthasar Gerards. Het museum behandeld de 80 jarige oorlog en de geschiedenis van Delft.

      Delete
    2. merci pour ces informations Huibrecht !
      bonne journée

      Delete
    3. De rien, Claude. Ca me fait plaisir.

      Delete
  3. Bel achat et beau travail de fabrication des pilons. Vive le roi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci bien pour ce joli commentaire, Jean-Claude. Et oui, vive le roi!

      Delete
  4. De vijzeltjes zijn heel mooi, en de stampers die je erbij hebt gemaakt zijn echt prachtig! Het lijkt me dat je daar toch veel tijd aan moet besteden, zo'n delicaat werkje! Het zijn mooie aanwinsten voor Swinnendael :-)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank u wel, Millicent. Het kostte mij en paar uur om ze te maken. Ik ben heel blij met het resultaat.

      Delete
  5. Muy buena compra y el resultado de los mazos sin torno es genial,besos:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo Huibrecht,
    Je mortieren zijn prachtig gedaan. Je hebt fantastisch werk geleverd met het keren van het hout. De mortieren zijn fantastisch.
    Grote knuffel
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Giac. I appreciate it very much. It is not my forte but I had a lot of fun toiling away. :-)

      Delete
  7. Nou zie je, staat mijn berichtje er weer niet op!! Dit is wat ik schreef (poging twee):

    Je stampers zijn prachtig geworden Huibrecht! Leuk werk he? Ik vind ook je schetsen erg leuk om te zien.

    Ja een boormachine kan ook prima dienst doen als draaibankje. Ik heb het ook wel zo gedaan. Ook metaal draaien lukt zo, althans, ik heb een keer messing gedraaid met de boormachine. Messing is vrij zacht en dat ging dus prima. Ik had hiervoor een oude messing deurkruk aan stukken gezaagd.

    Mocht je over de aanschaf van een draaibankje nadenken, kijk dan eens naar een Taig lathe. Deze moet je wel importeren en is een behoorlijke aanschaf, maar wordt in de miniatuurwereld gezien als de beste draaibank voor ons werk. Ook de Sherline lathe is een goeie en deze is makkelijk in Europa te koop.

    Goed, nu de test....wordt mijn berichtje geplaatst....;-) Nu zal ik slim zijn en het eerst kopiëren voordat ik op publish druk ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Josje,

      Wat fijn dat het nu wel gelukt is maar jammer dat het eerder niet lukte.

      Schetsen vind ik een prettige manier om ideeën uit te werken. En het leidt soms tot nieuwe ideeën. Zo ben ik van plan de twee verschillende voeten die ik voor de apothekersvijzel heb geschetst, allebei te draaien. Degene die af zal vallen kan dan bijvoorbeeldde zuil voor een zonnewijzer worden.

      Dank je wel voor de tips voor de beide lathe's. Ik ga ernaar kijken.

      Huibrecht.

      Delete
  8. Wat leuk Huibrecht, dat jij ook met een onderdeel begint en er dan de rest nog omheen gaat bouwen.
    Wat knap dat je de stampers zonder draaibank hebt gemaakt... Ze zien er erg goed uit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Mieke, welkom!

      Dank je wel voor het compliment. Net als jij vind ik het erg leuk om dingen bij elkaar te voegen of te veranderen tot iets nieuws.

      Het verschil tussen draaibank en een boor is vooral de nauwkeurigheid. Doordat het werkstuk in een draaibank aan beide uiteinden wordt vastgehouden kun je daar veel gedetailleerder werken.

      Delete
  9. Huibrecht, ontzettend bedankt voor je reactie op mijn blog, ik ben blij dat iemand hulp kan bieden voor hobby bloggers! Ik heb je inmiddels terug gemaild met het restant van mijn vragen.
    Hartelijk groet, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pieces. Huibrecht if you would like a lathe I accidentally bought two ( I must have clicked twice ) and didn't send one back as it seemed such a fuss so if you would like one I would be pleased to give it to a good home ! Just let me know and send your adress and voila ! ( It's what they call a bead lathe, easy to use ) It's jsut sitting in a box and deserves a home. Huggs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mrs. M. that is such a kind offer! So kind. I would gladly accept it if my partner had not bought me a small lathe last year. I have no doubt there is someone else who deserves it.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, you are getting set up ! I think back on how few tools I had in the beginning and how high my plans were! I need a small table sander next but I have a lathe, a table saw and a scroll saw so I am getting there slowly. The table saw has really made a huge difference to my life in miniatures. Huggss

      Delete