Wednesday 17 June 2020

A miniature gueridon tutorial: 2. Adding a plinth and a crown

Hello dear friends.
Thank you for all your kind words on the last post. It has been almost a month now. Because of a lot of thinks in RL I have not spent half as much time on miniatures as I expected to be able to. The two rooms I am building are progressing but progress is really so terribly slow! A bit frustrating. But oh well. what can't be done today, may be done tomorrow.

In between I picked up another project that was lingering in a box for quite some time. Back in august 2019 I showed you the first part of the transformation of two spelter cast angels who used to adorn a wall clock into a pair of gueridons.

Remember these little rascals?
Now we are already halfway into 2020 and so it is high time to finish this project. It has taken so long (in part) because I could not decide how to make the base. Would I cut up a picture frame with the right profile? I scoured the second hand shops but never found a frame in the right shape or size. I could make one myself using wood and or clay. But wich of the two?


 Both as it turned out. I had made a few sketches to see how I want the crown and base to look.

For the base and the crown I cut out several circles and octogons in different sizes.  I've built up the basic form of the base and crown in different combinations until I was happy with the result of both and glued the different discs of wood together.

                           

Then I used airdrying clay to fill up the gaps and now the final shape finally emerges. with some shaping and moulding I added some decorations into the clay. When all had dried I gave the base and crown two thin layers of paint. White for the bases and gold for the crowns.


You can all probably guess where it goes from here. The crowns will be gilded (eventually, have not learned that yet.) but for now gold paint will do. And the bases will be marbled in a blueish grey marble imitation.

Now it was time to bring the different pieces together. I drilled holes in the base, large enough to be able to screw in the figure. Then I glued on the crown. And made sure that the top of the crown was level.



Et voila, a gueridon with a dancing putto! On the picture below you can see that they have practically the same height as my pair of gueridons made by John Hodgson. It worked well. I am pleased with the result and will make the second one soon.


Well, that is it for now. I hope that you have enjoyed this little post and till next time!

Huibrecht

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, Huibrecht! The details are just fantastic and your marbled effect looks so real! I hope you'll find more time to exploit all these talents because it's a real treat to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you jodi! I hope to get more time too. Since last week time is getting less scarce and inspiration and energy has returned somewhat, as you can read in my next post! ;-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  2. Dit is fantastisch werk, Huibrecht, deze putti zijn zo inventief en creatief samengesteld, kortom ze zijn absoluut geweldig om te zien!!
    En tja tijd, ook ik had me wat anders voorgesteld bij het thuis zitten deze afgelopen tijd....
    Houd moed en kijk wat je kunt doen nu, er moet ook nog zoiets als inspiratie, of zin zijn om miniaturen te kunnen maken, heb ik gemerkt ;).
    Ik ben benieuwd hoe het verder gaat met je grote project.
    Blijf gezond en zorg goed voor elkaar, Huibrecht!
    Groetjes,
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi Ilona, Dank je wel. Ik houd zeker moed! Ik heb de afgelopen week al weer meer tijd en zin gehad als de weken ervoor. Dus de komende weken zal ik meer hebben om te laten zien. :-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  3. ¡Precioso! Has conseguido integrar las partes muy bien.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the demonstration how-to for your gueridon, Huibrecht! A really Grand Finale for the One dancing putto balancing the crown on his head saying "look ma no hands!":D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Elisabeth! And I have never thought of that, but He Ís looking like he is doing a balancing act |:-D
      I have laughed heartily after reading your comment. I love your humor!

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. Elizabeth made me smile with her comment - I was exactly thinking the same thing: "Look Ma, no hands" *LOL* What a funny little guy - at first sight I would not be too sure whether to trust him in carrying precious figurines on this head. But after seeing what effort it took you to make him stable and sturdy and at the same time realistic I changed my mind and would trust him now. ;O)

    Wonderful work - and thanks for the detailed photos and explanantions.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Birgit, yes that comment made me smile too. laugh out loud even. :-) Despite the formal appearance with all that marbling and gold he has a cheeky look on his face. That is correct. But I trust him to carry his vase or candelabra safely when the time comes. ;-)

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  6. Dank je wel Linda. Dit is echter geen herhaling waar ik niet blij mee ben hoor. ;-)
    Het echte leven ligt inderdaad soms dwars, maar zoals jezelf ook aangeeft, het is altijd maar tijdelijk. Ook dit komt goed!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I have been away for some time ! Fab job ! huggss

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you mrs. M. Good to see you around. I have missed these comments before now. I'm sorry for that. Number 2 of this pair is being finished about now. Will show them together doon.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete